Steam Thistle Cluaran

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Re: Steam Thistle Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:09 pm

Dietrich:
I agree the valve chest pressure would provide instructive information. I have not plumbed it for measurements.
Of course, the one compound slide valve creates some challenges of WHERE to tap for the pressure readings, as there are multiple pressure chambers involved.

At this time I am content with the data I have collected. I did determine that the old-design/new cast propeller performs more efficiently, and that my primary limitation is the low power from the small steam plant. At least I now understand that I can achieve cruising speed at a lower rpm. This is good news for a condensate-lubricated steam engine.
RussN
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:59 pm

Congratulations - excellent results and beautiful work, and enough of a speed boost to win a close race or to :)

At this point it looks like making sure the boiler is producing as much steam as possible is in order, so making sure you have sufficient feedwater & economizer surface would be in order, boiler and piping properly insulated, etc may eke out a bit more speed.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:40 am

Thanks, Bart. Good suggestions.
I will first raise the safety valve pop pressures from 100/105 psi to 120/125 psi.
I'm concerned higher pressures might not be good for the compound slide valve, especially with condensate lubrication.
I don't have data on maximums I can approach.
We'll see next year...
RussN