Whereabouts of Bat

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Whereabouts of Bat

Post by marinesteam » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:09 am

This is a question for my colleagues on the saner side of the pond.
I'm curious about a launch that has been pictured in the SBA's Funnel, but I can't seem to find the issue that I saw the pic in.
Doing a bit web searching leads to a very well done live steam model. that has been for sale on several venues. Also found was mention that Bat is in the collection of the Windermere Steamboat Museum (now Windermere Jetty). Windermere Jetty's website doesn't include Bat as being in the collection however. I am wondering where she is currently located and more importantly for my needs, have there ever been any lines taken or plans available for her. I'm assuming that someone must have measured her at some point as the model at least appears to be a pretty good representation of her.

Thanks

Ken
Old Steamer
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: Nell

Re: Whereabouts of Bat

Post by Old Steamer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:16 am

The SBA's register of steamboats gives details of Bat and records her current location as the Windermere Jetty museum. The Windermere jetty's website has contact details for mail and email. I suggest you contact the latter.
OS
gondolier88
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by gondolier88 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:18 pm

Hi Ken,

Bat is currently in storage off-site along with the majority of the rest of the collection.

The model linesplan is ok, but not accurate enough or including enough detail to build a full size boat. There are numerous models built to the plans of varying quality- one of the best I've seen recently was built by Russ at Cotswold Heritage Engineering.

I made a concerted effort to get photos of the hull construction details of Bat when I had chance to do so and have studied the work of Sladen, her designer, in quite some depth as I base my current design-in-progress on his general lines- send me an email (it's still the same since we last spoke) and I'll see what I can do.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up

http://www.simpsonboatbuilding.co.uk
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:46 pm

Thanks Greg,

Thought it was odd that the register said Bat had gone to the Steamboat Museum but that they didn't have a listing in the collection on the website. Good to know she's in good hands.

I'll send a private note re; plans & lines.

Thanks

Ken