Swift Lubricator

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Swift Lubricator

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:13 pm

Anyone else use a swift lubricator? I'm just learning to use mine for my 1902 Toledo Engine. I made a short video of the sight glass on it.

I really like the sight glass for a visual, the capacity, and the condensing bulb with ripples looks cool.

While I'm learning I'm trying to err heavily on the side of over oil because my Toledo is over a hundred years old and I want to baby it.

swiftlubricator2.jpg
swiftlubricator2.jpg (68.08 KiB) Viewed 7812 times
-CB
ron parola
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: victoria

Re: Swift Lubricator

Post by ron parola » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:15 pm

Yes I did try one for a season and it did work fine BUT it's hard to really turn down the oil flow to not get too much into the hotwell. I've removed it and have a manual oiler valve assembly on the top of the HP cylinder, IF I hear any groaning out of the motor (mostly at lower speeds) I give it a squirt of oil, being just in the HP cylinder works fine because any oil added there works it's way out of the d valves and into the LP. rp
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:29 pm

When I've used an oiler, it's always been a displacement oiler as these are easy to make and turn down. This coming year I'm switching to a non-compounded oil, which I expect will be easier to remove from the hotwell than the 600W I used previously. Otter's engine tends to rust up if I don't oil it, so I'm going to try the Green Velvet oil.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:51 pm

barts wrote:Green Velvet oil.
I'm using Green Velvet Sapon-A-Max 320 Compounded Steam (Cylinder) Oil and PB&J 220 (Pin Bearing and Journal) for external lubrication.

I have nothing to say negatively, other than the price. :o

Anything is better then nothing with oiling machines (almost always), but for example with the 1902 Toledo engine I have the price for a good oil is cheap insurance compared to finding the same engine again.

-CB
asal0312
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: Hope

Post by asal0312 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:01 pm

I use one. Its ok. Hard to gauge amount of oil other than re-fil rates.

I would rather get too much than too little oil. Getting it out of the condensate is a chore even with green velvet "non compounded" oil.

Alex
Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground you cannot think of moving them.