Semple VFT40; looking for drawings

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Kees95
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Johannes

Semple VFT40; looking for drawings

Post by Kees95 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:10 pm

Some time ago I bought for a “nice price” an old, wooden sailboat hull with in that a Semple engine set. It’s the Semple VFT40 boiler with fittings and a Semple V 3+5x4 compound engine.

The boiler has no certificates, but it's possible to get it if the boiler is well built, in good order and a drawing of the boiler with weldingdetails is necessary.

Does someone have boiler drawings or other information about materials, specifications of the Semple VFT40 steamboiler?

Thanks in advance,

Kees Hellinga
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: Semple VFT40; looking for drawings

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:17 am

I don't know if this will be of any help but ultrasonic thickness testers have come down in price. That won't give you things like tube wall thickness but can easily determine most of the other numbers.

And it will give you the wall thicknesses now rather than when it was built.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:32 pm

I have one of those Ultrasound thickness testers and they are very accurate to within .001", verified after testing it on varying known thicknesses of ground parallels etc. I paid 150 for it off of Ebay.

-Ron
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:52 pm

I found one for $90. Hah, hah!

The first thing I did with it was to slap it against my forehead. It read 3/4" (calibrated for steel). My partner was not surprised.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
Kees95
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Johannes

Post by Kees95 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:57 pm

We've done a ultrasonic thickness test and the smallest thickness of the firebox is 8,5 MM and the boiler itself 8,8 MM.

But, does anyone have the Original drawings and technical details of this Semple boiler? It's necessary for the first inspection.

Thanks in advance,

Kees