Steam Thruster?

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
TriangleTom
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: Steam Thruster?

Post by TriangleTom » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:19 pm

Another advantage of the trolling motor is safety. A lot of models are remote control from a keyfob, which means that if you ever fall overboard with the throttle shut you can use the trolling motor to bring the boat back to you. Maybe more of a concern for a fishing vessel, but still it can't hurt.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:30 pm

I have a 30 pound thrust trolling motor that has been very helpful on many occasions. $100US for the trolling motor, plus a battery $50 to $100 and you are all set to move around in a small boat, or even a 1 ton steamer. I found it interesting while exploring bow thruster websites yesterday, many models are listed, yet I could not find the thrust force for any of them! They just list the appropriate thruster size according to the size of the boat that it is to be fitted into.

However it is very clear that a trolling motor, while making an adequate thruster, costs is a very small fraction of what they want for a dedicated battery powered thruster, which typically cost thousands $$. Add to that the installation costs, very expensive indeed. I will stay with a boat hook and a paddle for maneuvering my bow to the dock.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:26 pm

When I built the tug, I was seriously considering welding in a 6 - 8 tube/duct crossways above the keel forward and and in it mounting a cheap trolling motor, just the motor. And I wish I had. I was going to keep all electric off of it, which was wishful thinking, 12 volt pumps and lights just makes the whole thing easier to use. Like filling the boiler, I use a Jabsco pump under the floorboards to bring in the 40 gallons of water needed. Can't imagine doing that with a small handpump. Then there is the pumps for the hot and cold water at the sink and the searchlight, all requiring 12 volts.

Boat hooks and all that work, but there are times with a crosswind or strong current, you find yourself in a tight spot in a marina or in between deepwater weed beds and there is nothing to fend off of, while fending off other boats tied up is better than running in to them, their owners would still rather you didn't have to, it would be nice to have a bow kicker to get headed the right direction.

-Ron
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:03 pm

DetroiTug wrote:n easy solution would be to use boiler water instead of steam through a nozzle (piece of pipe). IF the boiler has enough reserve to do such a thing without the risk of resulting in a low water situation afterwards. High velocity boiler water which will not condense immediately would provide considerable thrust. For a thruster, really all that is ever needed is a small kick to either side. --- This is actually a pretty good simple idea, I may try this on the Tug. Andy, this would be easy for you to try, pipe your blow-downs forward and each to either side with submerged exits.
Yeah, definately will have to watch the water consumption - but I just realized - one of my two 1" drains go straight down into the water. Just get an elbow which is $10 and put that the sucker and see if makes any sort of useable thrust.

Thanks for all the good ideas! :D

It was definately the biggest contention with my #1 that I firmly and purposely chose a paddle over a trolling motor. However, as Ron points out - sometimes a paddle is not sufficient. One thing I learned in the last year, is really by making that choice I do place a hardship/inconvenience to anyone who has given me a tow when a paddle didn't cut it. It's fantastic to have a helpful dock partner, but one should not rely on that...

It makes you think about and appreciate all the games with tenders and other friendly vessels and tugboats that was required logistically to handle steamboats not in steam or broken down. (think 1800s)

Towboats certainly do exist and will always exist, but they are not relied on nearly as much as the 1800s.

-CB
dhic001
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.S. Zeltic

Post by dhic001 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:09 am

Lopez Mike wrote:It's not clear to me what all of this has to do with steam launches.
Does this mean I can't build my long term planned 60 footer in future? On a 60 foot single screw steamer I'm definitely having a bow thruster!
Daniel
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:20 am

I don't think the appellation Steam Launch fits your 60 footer (grin).

I don't have any problem with bow thrusters on a boat where the forces get large. Or it is hard to walk forward to fend off. It sounds silly to think of such a thing on a one ton open boat. Which is what most of us have.

When I come up to a dock and the wind is off of the dock, I reach out with one hand and grab the dock. Problem solved! In fact I don't always bother to rig dock lines when dropping off one batch of passengers and picking up another.

I usually get a great reaction when leaving the dock. I give the boat a push with my foot as I stand on the dock. As it drifts away I say, "Good bye!". And then step aboard before they panic too much.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:41 am

Lopez Mike wrote:I usually get a great reaction when leaving the dock. I give the boat a push with my foot as I stand on the dock. As it drifts away I say, "Good bye!". And then step aboard before they panic too much.
That one I'm going to have to remember. :)

One of my fireman jokingly chastized told me for not giving him adequate training before hand. We were short on time and all I gave him was a 2 minute explanation with the promise of on the job training. :)

-CB
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:10 am

There was a 30ft boat built out here that had two 1/4" lines for steam jet bow thrusters, one for each side with separate valves, and mounted in a thwartships Venturi through the bow like a conventional bow thruster. I believe it was unsuccessful, and only recall seeing the boat at the B&W meet once.... It was a tough boat to dock because it had a cabin nearly the entire length with no way to open the windows or get onto the bow. Oil fired vft boiler and steam-reversed semple v-compound wayyyyy aft, away from the helm.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/6504259916.html

I'm pretty sure one of these would do the trick efficiently and effectively, if installed correctly of course.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:50 am

Too bad he only has three left!! What a bargain, and such a low price!
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:42 pm

Ya couldn't buy the materials for what he's selling those for..

-Ron