Does anyone here recognise this boiler?

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
Wearyman
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Does anyone here recognise this boiler?

Post by Wearyman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:00 pm

I have a picture of a watertube boiler that was sent to me by James Hogue of Tejas Smokers inc. Apparently this boiler was (and is) fired by Propane using specially made propane burners provided by Tejas Smokers.
boiler1.jpg
boiler1.jpg (88.46 KiB) Viewed 9363 times
Does anyone recognize this boiler? I'd like to find out who made it, what boat it is in, and if it is actually using propane as a fuel.

Also, can anyone here identify the various fittings on this boiler? I can see the feedwater inputs on the bottom, and the steam outputs on top, but there is a top center fitting, and one on the side (and possibly another around the back) that I don't recognize. What are those for?

Thanks!
87gn@tahoe

Re: Does anyone here recognise this boiler?

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:49 pm

That is what some call an "express" or "Yarrow" 3-drum watertube.

It almost looks like one of the boilers Peter Moale made, except for the left downcomer, leading me to believe that he did not make this one.

The fittings on the mud drums are for blowdowns and/or feedwater, the two fittings on the front of the steam drum are for a guage glass (I think the other "bumps" on the font of the drum are stays). The fittings on the top of the drum could be used for the main steam line (Perhaps with a manifold for various other steam devices), safety valve, and pressure gauge.

I think the "fitting" that you're seeing on the back side is actually the slot-and-chain style lock on the door behind the boiler.

It looks to be pretty nicely done, except I would eliminate the joint in the left downcomer.
Wearyman
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Re: Does anyone here recognise this boiler?

Post by Wearyman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:28 am

87gn@tahoe wrote:I think the "fitting" that you're seeing on the back side is actually the slot-and-chain style lock on the door behind the boiler.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're right! I may need to get the old eyes checked. Now that I look at it again I can clearly see that it's a chain lock.

You're right about the downcomer too. Odd that the rest of the boiler is so well made and then that spurious joint is there. Maybe the builder ran out of tubing and had to patch some scrap together to finish it?

Now I just need to figure out who made the thing! :?: