Another Hello from Derby!

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Titan
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: River Song

Another Hello from Derby!

Post by Titan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Hello everyone!

I am new to steamboating and I am currently completing a project boat that I bought last year. I have a background in engineering and have been used to small model steam engines and once owned a narrow boat. So I thought - Marine steam, can't be that different can it? Let us just say it is an interesting learning curve!

I am hoping to have her ready for the end of season SBA rally on Lake Windermere. Not that far off being ready for a boiler test, but I won't be rushing so if she is not ready I will go along sans boat as it would be a great occasion to met people and get some tips!
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: Another Hello from Derby!

Post by Lopez Mike » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:08 am

I envy you your concentration of steam boats in Great Britain. I suspect that no place on earth has as many launches per square mile.

In N. America we have local concentrations such as in Western Washington, Oregon and British Columbia but there are areas the size of Europe without a single boat. Historical reasons as much as anything.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Post by Mike Cole » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:35 am

Hello , welcome to the forum. I started with a project boat as well, took almost 3 years to be steaming on the water. I am off to windermere in a couple of hours for the main windermere rally but am also planning to go to the end of season one.

Mike
Mike Cole
Titan
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: River Song

Post by Titan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:44 am

Lopez Mike wrote:I envy you your concentration of steam boats in Great Britain. I suspect that no place on earth has as many launches per square mile.

In N. America we have local concentrations such as in Western Washington, Oregon and British Columbia but there are areas the size of Europe without a single boat. Historical reasons as much as anything.
We are lucky in the UK. We have a very extensive canal network which means that south of Liverpool/York, you are never more than a few miles from a navigable stretch of water. Don't suppose there are many boat owners in Nevada!

My first home was a boat, I worked for the Railway and the office was in central London. I hated the commute in and of course property prices were ridiculously high in London even then. I was also mindful of the fact that you tended to move around from place to place on the railway and sods law dictates that as soon as I bought somewhere I would be asked to move...

So I solved the problem by buying a nice 4 berth narrow boat, and mooring it on the Regents Canal in central London. Work was now a pleasant 20 minute walk via Russel square and the British Museum. Lo and behold, within two weeks of taking ownership I was asked if I could go on secondment to the Derby office for six months! I said "Sure, just give me a couple of weeks to get my boat there!" They paused and thought for a bit and then agreed! In the end it took me about 10 days to wend my way from London to Derby via the canal network. Brings a whole new meaning to 'Mobile Home'!!