Buying a second hand steam boat

The place to put an advert for thing you want to sell, buy or swap.
Adamsmi1
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Buying a second hand steam boat

Post by Adamsmi1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:15 am

G'day everyone,

New member, first post lets see how it goes!

Ive been doing alot of home work and understand the "steam launch" systems and mechanics.

Originally with plan of building the whole kit and kaboodle ive come to the realisation that i dont have enough time to build the hull. So compromising my plan is to buy a fully set up launch and "swap in" parts I will build ( engine, boiler, etc etc) over time and on sell the machinery.

Ive been in contact with a seller who has the exact hull im looking for so thats a big bonus, his launch has:

single double acting 2.5x3 engine
VFT boiler
fibre glass hull

What would you look for if you were buying a second hand launch?

I look forward to reading your posts!

Adam
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Buying a second hand steam boat

Post by fredrosse » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:40 am

One of the first things to examine on the hull is the engine/boiler stringers, rotted or oil soaked softened wood? Many fiberglass hulls have a plywood transom, and many of these need a complete rebuild. As far as the steam plant goes, getting metal wall thickness on the VFT shell is necessary. Ultrasonic thickness meters are well under $100, and buying a new VFT can run to $10,000, depends on size, etc.

Can you tell us more about the boat, size, traditional launch hull, converted sailboat, or ?? What is the operating pressure of the steam plant?, has there been certified inspections, boiler hydrostatic test?
Adamsmi1
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Adamsmi1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:40 am

Thanks for the reply Fredrosse!

The add is as follows:

SL Belle is a Fibreglass 17ft clinker hull, the mould was taken from a 1930's launch found in Narembeen Lake. The hull was built by Marshal Lord and at the time had a work yard at Terry Hills, Sydney. Hulls were made as putt putt launches, some open and some with timber cabins. The deck is Teak laid as well as the marlin board. A canvas front cabin is fitted with a aft awning. It can sleep two in a v-birth at front. Finished construction in January 1997 Powered by 2 1/2" by 3" single cylinder engine of steel fabrication with Slip Eccentric Reversing gear. Built by Andrew Palmer over eighteen months. Boiler is a vertical fire tube consisting of 120 fire tubes. Shell is 1/2" steel construction. Built over six months by Andrew Palmer. Maximum operating pressure is 100 psi. Ready to run after about 20 mins firing. Condensing system is used where by exhaust steam is turned back into water and pumped into the boiler automatically when required. Fuel is brown coal briquettes, approximately 5kg per hour. Maximum speed is 6 knots at 500 RPM. Boiler is lagged with Jarrah, two 5l fresh water tanks, Windermere kettle. Includes: Dual axle trailer, full cover, clinker fibreglass tender, life jackets, ropes, basic tool kit, navigation lights, tube cleaning hose.

other infomation ive recieved via corrispondence:

boiler:
last inspected? Would be my periodic internal by removing plugs once yearly, so May 18
boiler cert? Stamped plate made by boiler inspector at TAFE who worked at Workcover. Pressure tested when finished at LnA pressure vessels Revesby
Last steamed? Fired up in backyard in May.

engine:
casting company? Strath Steam of South Australia, Rod Muller, also boiler plans came from Rod, he was in production of launches and alternative power sources.

trailer:
Rego? January, dual axle, excellent condition, with fabricated electric wheel mover which bolts on to draw bar,
Rust? maybe a bolt

boat:
Damage or fix ups? Nil
leaks? defiantly not, the only weep that comes in which is necessary for prop shaft lubrication is the gland packing in prop shaft bearing, minimal.

General:
reason for selling? I have too many interests and projects going.
over all weight? Not exactly sure but would be around 1000kg.
does any work need to be done on anything? No work required, its been sorted and only requires general maintenance, checking, polishing.

Any thing else you could share will be welcome. Have a small green tender row boat that goes with it as well as tool kit, tube cleaning lance which screws on to boiler.

This is all the info I have at the moment

Adam
Attachments
IMG_3487.jpg
IMG_3487.jpg (137.09 KiB) Viewed 5724 times
IMG_3485.jpg
IMG_3485.jpg (105.47 KiB) Viewed 5724 times
BELLE2.jpg
BELLE2.jpg (44.66 KiB) Viewed 5724 times
Adamsmi1
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Adamsmi1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:15 am

Im looking at the boat this weekend and have rented an ultrasonic thickness tester

Fingers crossed all is well!