SL Walkin' Belle is For Sale

The place to put an advert for thing you want to sell, buy or swap.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

SL Walkin' Belle is For Sale

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:07 pm

Walkin Belle 1.jpg

SBA colleague Howard Bentham wishes to sell his walking beam engine launch. I know that this form of engine is of interest to many Members of this forum and, given the state of the exchange rate of the GB Pound with the US dollar and Euro, importing the launch from the UK would not be prohibitively expensive. The price is really too low for such a launch in my opinion. For any US buyer Liverpool to Wilmington and Southampton to New Jersey are possible RORO routes. For friends in the EU life is very simple with easy Channel Crossings. Howard is currently investigating shipping costs to the US in case anybody is interested. The details of the launch are given below:

"The late David King, of Suffield, Norfolk, was a much respected and internationally known 'man of steam' whose distinctive products included launch boilers and sets of castings for single cylinder launch engines, complete 10.25" gauge steam locomotives, possibly more than one steam car and a number of interesting paddle launches.

He built at least two unique stern wheelers and this side wheel steamer, all with machinery inspired by traditional American practice. 'Walkin' Belle', built 1994-97, has a 'walking beam' engine fitted into an aluminium hull and was last steamed by current owner Howard Bentham in March 2015.

Hull: an ex-MoD 1950s riveted aluminium unit, 176" long, 66" beam. It has twin rudders, wheel steering and removable paddle boxes and paddles, which stow in the hull for towing.

Boiler: is a coal-fired, finned-drum horizontal boiler 10" diameter by 20" long. It runs at 80 psi. David developed these finned boilers after many years of producing his well-known 'Newton Coil' type. They are effective steam raisers and he used one in his Austin 7-based steam car.

Auxiliaries: There is an injector, a 10 watt steam generator and a steam kettle.

Engine: a non-condensing double beam built to David King's own design and running at approx. 45 rpm.

Trailer etc.: She is on a 'Freewheel UK' twin axle galvanised trailer and is being sold with an extensive collection of tools specific to her engine, a log of every occasion when steamed, a full length canvas cover, life jackets etc.; and there are two old style video tapes of its construction.

The original owner reported that the cost of the engine alone was in excess of £20,000.

Howard says: "I acquired 'Walkin' Belle' from the Wallace family. I recommissioned her and used her extensively on the River Weaver, until the launch site in Northwich closed".

"Since 2015 she has been laid up under cover with an electric heater in the firebox. She's not beautiful nor fast, but she is enormous fun, and unique. The engine, with its beams, connecting rods and shaft is a mechanical delight. I have greatly enjoyed owning and using 'Walkin' Belle', but now no longer have the time to give her the exercise and attention she deserves".

Price: Sensible Offers over £3,500 considered.

If you are interested please send a PM to Pete Cuthbert (PeteThePen1) and I will put you in contact with Howard.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: SL Walkin' Belle is For Sale

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:08 pm

Here is another photo of Walkin' Belle in action.
Walkin Belle 4.jpg

Pete.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:10 pm

Pete,

She looks like a wonderful time on the water,. And a real attention-getter. I'm sure many would love to see more detailed photos of the machinery, along with bore+stroke and sqft/hs dimensions, etc...
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:46 pm

By popular demand here are a couple more photos of the amazing engine:
Beam engine 1 (374 x 600).jpg
Beam engine 1 (374 x 600).jpg (65.28 KiB) Viewed 8184 times
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead