WANTED: Boiler for 16' Steam Launch

The place to put an advert for thing you want to sell, buy or swap.
jhuntley
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Melita

WANTED: Boiler for 16' Steam Launch

Post by jhuntley » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:02 pm

I posted this add on the SBA Small Ads page but figured it worth asking here too...

I have recently purchased my first steam boat project and am looking for a boiler, suitable for coal firing and preferably a VFT (although others considered) to drive a Taylor single engine (2.5" x 2.5" cylinder) in a 16' boat.

Before I dive in and start building a boiler, I thought it just worth asking on here as you never know what people have tucked away!

Not entirely sure what I'm after as there is still some freedom in the boat to move things about, but if you've anything that sounds like it may be of use please get in touch to discuss!

Not entirely sure how to post a photo on here, but there is a photo on the advert: https://www.steamboatassociation.co.uk/page-1122081
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: WANTED: Boiler for 16' Steam Launch

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:41 am

The link brings up a page with more than one boat, none of which has an engine meeting the description. Does it have a name?

Most boilers are pretty much indefinitely rebuildable. Have you given any thought to that option?
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:34 am

Under Engines/Boilers (centre tab) Mike, top of the pile!
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Post by RGSP » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:41 am

Given that you're an SBA member now, give Kevin Slater a call: as SBA President currently, AND owner of a boilermaking company, he has lots of contacts, and may be able to suggest something. Incidentally, I think his waiting list for new boilers runs to something like 2 years.