Dynamo/Gen Set

The place to put an advert for thing you want to sell, buy or swap.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Dynamo/Gen Set

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:19 pm

Fred, this is the muffler/feedwater heater I built for an early steam carriage I'm restoring.
Attachments
IMG_0901 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0901 (Medium).JPG (74.06 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
IMG_0888 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0888 (Medium).JPG (95.2 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
IMG_0883 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0883 (Medium).JPG (147.54 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:34 am

BEAUTIFUL WORK YOU DO, AS WE HAVE ALL SEEN FOR YEARS ON THIS FORUM.
Titan
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: River Song

Post by Titan » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:25 pm

This is my set up:

https://youtu.be/OC5pHkGR63E

Good for 15 amps in theory, and so far has had more than enough power for anything I have needed!

It directly drives an unmodified 24VDC permanent magnet motor, so I don't have to spin it too fast to get 12V.

Of course it helps that the rated power/speed of the engine is 1/3 bhp @ 2,800rpm on 80psi
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:09 pm

Nice Sirius.

I always wondered how close a Stuart Sirius is to the gensets Stuart made for WW2.

I used a Stuart 4a and could get 100Watts out without much trouble with a WindBlue permanent magnet alternator. Load: 12V 100Watt incandescent light bulb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AbbH1R48X0

-CB
TriangleTom
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by TriangleTom » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:44 am

Love that Sirius. It's always satisfying to see them used in a way that both takes advanage of their quirks and is useful.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:53 pm

I have the drawings for the Firefly gen set and it is the Sirius. No differences that I can see. It supplied 6V at around 4A to charge a small lead acid battery that powered a small morse code radio set for clandestine service. The boiler was an ordinary pressure cooker doubled in height. No condensing or feed water pump. Just batch operation fired with wood. The boxed gen set was shipped inside the boiler for air dropping.

I'm a ham operator with a special interest in WW2 clandestine and tactical radios. Now the radios are so efficient that we just carry batteries with us. Very much the same as back then though. Perhaps up to a five watt radio using a wire thrown over a bush.

The Sirius seems to run quite reliably though a close look at the bevel gears supplied to drive the valve gear would indicate that the loads are modest.

I saw one driving a model Merry Go Round (Carousel, Hurdy Gurdy) in pretty much continuous duty. Hours a day. The maintenance guy said that all he did was drain and refill the crank case once a day to flush out condensate that got past the rings.

The model was said to be of a English or European on as it turned clockwise. Stateside ones being asserted to go the other way. I’ve seen full sized ones go both ways.

I was 13 and didn’t know enough to ask much more. 78 now. Groan!

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama