great looking boat coming up for auction

The place to put an advert for thing you want to sell, buy or swap.
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

great looking boat coming up for auction

Post by farmerden » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:49 am

http://www.steamlaunchreciproca.com/
I've never seen the boat but the photos in the ad sure make it look like a beautiful boat.Anyone know about the boat?? Den
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: great looking boat coming up for auction

Post by fredrosse » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:21 am

The boat belongs to Kelly Anderson, a member of this forum, and he is Vice President of Motive Power, Equipment & Shops at the Strasburg Rail Road. They build and maintain steam locomotives, big and small, and have ASME Power Boiler Code stamps.

Reciproca is indeed the most highly finished thoughtfully laid out steam launch I have ever seen. When I first saw Reciproca it set new standards for launch construction, and thereby caused me to spend an extra year building the American Walking Beam Engine for my sidewheeler, with added brass, polish, engine turned bits, etc.

Mr. Anderson's website, giving much detail about this launch, is illustrative of the thought and talent that has gone into this fine piece of steam machinery.
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:09 pm

fredrosse wrote: ...Mr. Anderson's website, giving much detail about this launch, is illustrative of the thought and talent that has gone into this fine piece of steam machinery.
And he needs to sell this one to start on the next, larger one. So help an addict maintain his addition; bid at the auction so he can really go all out. :D
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
csonics
Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by csonics » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:38 pm

What a work of art!

-Mike
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Post by Kelly Anderson » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:14 pm

The auction for Reciproca is running now. You can find it here.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Post by farmerden » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:55 am

Some body got a deal! Is it because it's a boat that we can't get a proper price? These low prices seem typical in Canada and the USA,is it the same elsewhere? Den
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:40 pm

No appreciation for the time and effort placed into making one, especially one of this caliber.

Think about all the details that went into that boat.. Thousands of man hours at today's price of a minimum of $50/hr. :shock:
mtnman
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Mary Jane

Post by mtnman » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:53 pm

87gn@tahoe wrote:No appreciation for the time and effort placed into making one, especially one of this caliber.

Think about all the details that went into that boat.. Thousands of man hours at today's price of a minimum of $50/hr. :shock:
You may not have noticed but times are tough and money is tight right now. I didn't think it would break 10k, suprised me. It was still a No Sale. What was the reserve? Heck, I've got a piece of riverfront property for sale, 3 years ago the place next door (Only half as large) sold for $250,000, today I can't get anyone interested in mine at $175,000.
csonics
Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by csonics » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:42 pm

I have to admit I'm torn not being a owner at this point. In one sense I agree that ~$14k is not nearly what this boat is worth in man hours and materials. In another sense it gives me hope that somebody like myself might be able to afford a work of art like this one day...

-Mike
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:30 pm

csonics wrote:I have to admit I'm torn not being a owner at this point. In one sense I agree that ~$14k is not nearly what this boat is worth in man hours and materials. In another sense it gives me hope that somebody like myself might be able to afford a work of art like this one day...

-Mike
:idea: Try the classified pages of the many steamboat society websites. You can get operating boats for less than $ 10,000 US
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org