Complete steam plant for sale

The place to put an advert for thing you want to sell, buy or swap.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Complete steam plant for sale

Post by DetroiTug » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:23 pm

This belongs to a buddy of mine.

***SOLD*** No Longer available.

From what I understand this used to belong to Gene Goebel (sp?) that owned Tiny Power after Pop Arnold.

"Complete set up to build a 25'-35' steam powered boat minus the hull.Purchase includes Nice compound engine with great compression -3.5x5.5x4" stroke .Roberts type 50sq.ft. boiler pressure tested to 180 lbs.made by South stage Iron works Medford Oregon 1980.has new top hood . 24" prop ,shaft ,thrust bearing. three gauges. Vacuum pump runs off crank ,hot well system . Piston water pump that runs off engine crank . Jerguson reflex gauge .Lunkenheimer steam oiler . Lonergan 150 releif valve. Two large heat exchangers . Bunch of steam valves and fittings"

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/3543199816.html

-Ron
Last edited by DetroiTug on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
87gn@tahoe

Re: Complete steam plant for sale

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:38 am

That's a Burleigh compound! It looks like that particular one is taller than Richard's original design. That's good as it reduces angularity of the rod and side loading of the crosshead. (that's one of the reasons why John York's engine is such a great design)

The late Richard Burleigh of Berkley, CA, sold casting sets for his engines at cost. I have a set of casting for that engine that I'm slowly machining. I've run the one in Richard's personal boat "Phoenix" many times for him while he was still alive.

Great little engines (depending on the machinist of course).

That package looks like a screaming deal. Wish I lived closer!