Quiet on here?

A section for all non-Steamboat things and machinery - Steam vehicles, trucks, plant, cars etc...
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Quiet on here?

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:52 am

I got that thanks C.B.

Who said it was quiet on here? We've been treated to quite a rush this last week or so. Long may it continue. :lol: :lol:
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Quiet on here?

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi Folks

Being the Festive season there has been time to explore threads that I have neglected of which this is one.

On the issue of us being legislated out of existence, as mentioned by Ron, I would suggest that there might just be an alternative viewpoint. Here in the UK 'the People' have just elected the most right wing government for many a generation. The new Government's avowed intention is to to do away with 'Red Tape' to a very large degree. So food standards, factory safety, the Health & Safety Exedutive, and a long list more are apparently to be abolished. I find it hard to imagine that they would inflict serious administrative regulations on steamboaters after that. After all, when all the current safeguards are removed there will be no 'Government Inspectors' left to inspect, never mind Civil Servants with the technical know how to write regulations that would work.

I would have thought that our safety lies in the sensible approach that most of our Clubs and Associations have in certification and testing and not allowing folk without the paperwork to participate. Also picking up on the point Mike made about being ambassadors and getting people who don't know about the hobby into our boats, possibly even politicians.

I like the idea of a YouTube steam boating education series. Perhaps we could work together to a) agree what the syllabus should be and b) sort out the content and length of the videos and c) who will do which bits plus who is going to take on the post filming production so that it looks good and is consistent.

Picking up on the current craze of 'OK Boomer' how about calling the series 'A Boomer goes Steamboating' given how many of us are from that era (Yes I know a lot of you are not!). We could probably do with calling on those board Members with engineering youngsters in the family who could help us get the delivery tone right. Russ, has admitted to having an engineer daughter, but I am sure that there are others.

I am up for getting involved in this idea, so what about the rest of you?

Regards

Pete