Deception?

A section for all non-Steamboat things and machinery - Steam vehicles, trucks, plant, cars etc...
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Deception?

Post by fredrosse » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:57 am

At the bottom of this forum I now see a statement:

"This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website", followed by a tab you can click "Learn more"

Followed by a computer button labeled "Got it!"

What does this "Got It!" imply? I suspect the label should read.. "I give permission for the addition of cookies to my computer"
Perhaps I am wrong here, but I see so much deceptive and misleading information on the web, and "Got It!" certainly is not anything clear. "Got it!" might imply to the user that they are saying "I understand", but why then does the website have a tab to acknowledge that I "Got it!" There are far more things that I don't know about on the web, so why is the website giving me this button to click?

Maybe the website is under some obligation to inform the users about cookies, and to have you click on some tab to agree to this, but they don't really want you to know that cookies can lead to all sorts of targeted advertising, or something like that? I would like to know the full meaning of this "Got it!" statement, does anyone know this answer?

Maybe the truth should read:

"This website uses cookies to ensure advertisers get the best chances of getting into your pockets, as well as your private information, for their profit motives." Followed by a computer button labeled "I am authorizing this practice on this computer"

Being "up front" and honest in representations is proper, somehow I feel that this "Got It!" button has an element of deception.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: Deception?

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:06 pm

I suspect that it is 'boiler plate' that came with the software but it would be a good thing to know if we are sharing any information outside of this community.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Maltelec » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:30 pm

Fred if you read the small print it will likely say something about allowing your computer to act as a 5G transmitter, allowing the Covid-19 virus to spread around your local area. However I will let you into a little secret: If you wear kitchen foil over your head as a hat, it will reflect the transmission away. Just don't tell anyone else.
Cookies.jpg
Cookies.jpg (33.82 KiB) Viewed 13727 times
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:41 am

Quote: "it would be a good thing to know if we are sharing any information outside of this community.''

If youre using internet explorer or google chrome for a browser and google or yahoo for a search engine, then the answer is, yes you are being tracked and your browsing activity sold to advertisers, it's how a lot of websites make money, nothing is free.

If you don't want to be tracked, use Mozilla Firefox for a browser and Duckduckgo for your search engine, neither of them store or share your activity. And ignore the ''Got it'' button or any other cookie offers, most cookies are harmless and simply store your personal preferences for the website. Some are very invasive. I reject all of them when given the choice.

-Ron
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:24 am

Very informative replies, however I am still curious about my posted question...."I would like to know the full meaning of this "Got it!" statement, does anyone know this answer? "
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:57 am

"Got it'' = yes, ok website, install your tracking cookie in my browser cache.
TriangleTom
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TriangleTom » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:06 am

If you're really worried about being tracked, get a VPN. They're not expensive and they're a good way to browse anonymously.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:54 am

TriangleTom wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:06 am
If you're really worried about being tracked, get a VPN. They're not expensive and they're a good way to browse anonymously.
= Virtual Private Network.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:20 am

Some of us are not quite convinced about VPNs for security. Do a search for "what are the problems with VPNs?" and you will discover that they were a good idea, but things have moved on and they are no longer such a brilliant idea, especially for the domestic user. Of course it you are living in the land of the slow internet connection and already are tearing you hair about the slowness of WinDoze, a VPN might just manage to slow you down to a Zen like hairless state.

Pete
TriangleTom
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TriangleTom » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:53 pm

They certainly aren't a perfect solution, but they have their advantages. Plus the ability to switch regions is a huge bonus for buying plane tickets/streaming video.