Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Hello to all

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:31 am

Posted on behalf of Graysteam:

Graysteam
Just Starting Out

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:27 am Post subject: Hello to all
Hello,

I am a new member and would like to introduce myself. I have an engineering background and have been into model steam for a few years now, graduating from Mamods and simple home made models to model steam boats, with live steam propulsion of course.

The final graduation was the recent purchase (jointly with a friend) of a 20ft. sea going steam launch, fitted with a 2.5"x5"x3" double acting compound engine.

I am now a member of the SBA as well as this forum and may well be in need of advice from those more experienced members in the future.

Best regards to all,

Graham

Maltelec
Site Admin

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:16 am Post subject:
Welcome to the forum Graham.

You've got the difficult part (the hull) for your boat, the engine and boiler tend to be much easier.

If you're stuck for ideas on things, a forum can be very helpful, as are the SBA. However with steam there is no right answer, but plenty of wrong ones! Ask 5 SBA members how to do something and you'll get 6 answers.

You should get yourself to an SBA rally. Windermere is always a good one, but often wet. The most boats we had there once were 45 from the SBA, at least 2 private ones, and of course all the museum boats which are now in dry dock.