Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Hi from Holland

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:33 am

Posted on behalf of buello:

buello
Just Starting Out

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:08 am Post subject: Hi from Holland
Hi Everyone.
Im from Holland. Used to be a tool maker but now-a-days working in a office. Recently I have found steam power [intressting] and first wanted to build my own (by my design) steam engine. I have found that steamboating is actualy keeping steam power alive more than any other hobby/-club. This had made me think that if you do build a steam enige then you might as well put it into a launch.

I have read a lot about steam engines on all sort of forums but I must look for beter sources for information (to many opinions but not always fact). If anyone knows a good book please let me know. (Books about steam engine design [technical/ compression, size etc].) I have an eninge in my mind (must still put in on paper). One that needs no casting(I have read a lot of people casting their own?) if this is easy to be done at home I'm all ears but in Holland I think if I need a blacksmith and that will cost a bundle.

I will put my techinal questions in the other posts for those who would like to help me.

thanks,
Barry

Maltelec
Site Admin

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:56 pm Post subject:
A few engines have been built without castings. Most of them simply use a solid block of cast iron and they machine it from that.

You should stick your ideas on here and we can point out the possible problem parts. No engine is perfect though, its a fine balance between useability, workability and how much it costs to make.

Are you thinking of a model engine or a 5 HP sort of power one for a real boat?

buello
Just Starting Out

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:54 am Post subject:
Hi Maltelec,

I am thinking of cutting the "block" from aluminuim and not cast iron. Also I have read a lot about consumtion of a steam engine (in other posts by you) and then I think it must be a compound engine (2cyl.) to have a good performance. Output about 5hp (will /- must be for a real boat).
Just a side track. I see you also have a Landy. I used to have 2 defenders. One from '68 and the other from 2003. Sold of the one from 2003 (was just to pretty). With a Land Rover you cannot be in a hurry and that probably goes for a steam boat.

I will post all my technical questions under the engine and boiler link just know.

Thanks.
Buello

Maltelec
Site Admin

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:35 pm Post subject:
Quote:
I used to have 2 defenders. One from '68 and the other from 2003

The 1968 one must have been a Series-2a. What happened to that one or have you still got it?