Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Introduction

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:44 am

Posted on behalf of JohnLanark:

johnLanark
Just Starting Out

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:09 am Post subject: Introduction
Hello from John Macmillan in Scotland and good luck for the forum.

I had Frolic 18 "Lightning" for several years, and am now building a 20 foot Herreshoff style launch. I'll post a couple of progress photos in the pictures section.

In the meantime I am realising that it is a good deal to turn up at events and take rides on other peoples' boats - all the fun, none of the hassle!

John

marinesteam
Lighting the Boiler

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:57 pm Post subject:
Welcome John,

I can't wait to see pics the hull build as it progresses. Would you share some of the particulars at your convenience (build method, engine choice etc.)

Ken
Colorado USA

JohnLanark
Just Starting Out

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:27 am Post subject:
Hello Ken. The hull is cedar strip plank with epoxy/glass sheathing and oak frames internally. External sheathing is teak fore and aft to below waterline for bright finish, then diagonal mahogany below. It is now in the Selway Fisher catalogue as the Cambrian - there are a couple of photos there from earlier stages. The hull is now upside down again to build the keel - once the weather gets warm enough for epoxy

http://www.selway-fisher.com/Steam2030.htm

Engine is a 2.5"x5"single I am building from Herreshoff drawings and a kind SBA member in Canada who has provided details of his original engine.

Regards, John

marinesteam
Lighting the Boiler

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:14 am Post subject:
John,

I was interested in that hull as soon as Paul put it on his website. I was thinking about asking if he would change the stern to a fantail or possibly a torpedo stern but was worried that the boat would be a bit small for the engine that I am building, a 3 & 5.25 x 3.75 compound.

I have just ordered the plans for the Bolger designed 23' fantail launch, but building will wait until the engine is completed.

Hop fully this is more than just an Americans stereotype of Scotland, but I bet it's going to be great fun steaming around the Scottish lakes on a foggy morning. Are you planning on condensing? The exhaust plume from a non-condensing setup would look impressive on a cool, moist morning.

Ken

Maltelec
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:49 am Post subject:
Hello John

Its been a few years since I've seen Lightning. I'll get them photo's you sent me put up on the forum soon.

JohnLanark
Just Starting Out

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:18 am Post subject:
Ken - we call them lochs and indeed they are very pretty as you can see here on the SBA's photo album. I am the person with the yellow lifejacket.

http://www.steamboat.org.uk/picturex.ht ... 0McLuckie.

John

marinesteam
Lighting the Boiler

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:40 pm Post subject:
John

There's nothing better than pictures of beautiful, rugged scenery especially when you put some steamboats in the frame.

Thanks for the pics.

Ken