Hello,

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:50 am

Posted on behalf of marinesteam:

marinesteam
Lighting the Boiler

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:08 pm Post subject: Hello,
Hello all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm Ken and a relatively new member to the steamboating fraternity. I reside in Colorado USA, not the best location for getting to meet fellow steamboaters but we have some nice large lakes nearby.

I come to the hobby through an interest in Steam locomotives, mechanical engineering and growing up in a city surrounded by several lakes in the Midwest.

I purchased the York compound casting set two years ago and have made a little progress in the preparation of the castings. I am polishing all of the bronze bits to a bright finish. In the meantime I am honing my machining skills with some other small projects and have upgraded my machine shop slightly. I recently moved to the larger lathe needed to handle the size of the York castings from a smaller 9x20. I had originally intended to build G1 live steam models but found hobby steamboating to be a better fit to my interests.

My current "practice" machining project is rebuilding the bell of a single chime steam whistle. The rebuilt bell will be a three chime whistle and will use the original bowl and valve.

I am a member of both the Northwest Steam Society and SBA-GB. I was able to attend the NWSS meet in Seattle this year was impressed by the camaraderie of the group.

Thanks for the forum.

Ken

Maltelec
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:28 pm Post subject:
Hi Ken

You should put some pictures up of this steam whistle.

Best of luck with the York compound, they seem to be a good sturdy engine.