Boat Name: No Boat Yet

spud pan

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:52 am

Posted on behalf of spud pan:

spud pan
Just Starting Out

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:16 am Post subject: spud pan
hi to all
my name is spud (but my other name is Jonathan) but my steam friends call me spud

let me tell you a bit about me, I am 19 years old and have loved steam engines since i can remember (to much Thomas the tank engine when i was young).
I have a 4 inch foster and help friends with there engines this includes a foden wagon and a Marshall Portable.
I have had some dealing in boats i have sail with the OYT on the John Laing and hold a competent crew certificate. I have done some Dingy sailing.
I have all so been the engineer / deck hand on a 85 foot steam river trip boat if only for one day
my job is as a cnc machinist.
I hope to get a small steam boat next year

i am dyslexia so please forgive any spelling errors

Maltelec
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:21 am Post subject:
Hi, welcome to the forum

Quote:
hold a competent crew certificate

Is there such a thing with steamboats?

Sounds like you've got a handy job as a CNC machinist. I've thought of making a CNC machine but by the time I've set it all up and spent ages getting the computer to talk to the motors I may as well have done it myself.

Don't worry about the spelling, it can't possibly be as bad as mine.

spud pan
Just Starting Out

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:40 am Post subject:
competent crew certificate this is a RYA thing it means i knowhow to crew a sailing yacht, but this means that i know how to handle ropes this is not to much of a problem on a small steam boat but on a big steam boat that weighs 40 tons the ropes can take off your hands so remember little fingers towards the load on a cleat or winch because you can use your hand with out your little finger but you can not with out your thumb

But do not say certificate of competence to a steam roller or traction engine enthusiast

Edward
Lighting the Boiler

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:21 am Post subject:
Hello Spud/Jonathan,
I sent you a message a few days ago but got your name wrong, many grovelling apologies.
You may not have got the message because I probably pushed the wrong buttons, incompetance strikes again!
Edward.