Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Introduction

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:59 am

Posted on behalf of fredrosse:

fredrosse
Just Starting Out

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:26 pm Post subject: Introduction
Hi everyone. Glad to join this group.

I am a fortunate fellow in that I love steam plants and have been able to practice steam power engineering throughout my career. Worked on a Texaco Oil Tanker in the 1960's, plus Army steam-electric dredges, Electric Boat steam driven Submarines 69-72, commercial nuclear steam power 73-89, commercial fossil steam power 90-present.

Have built a home power steam-electric plant, a steam powered canoe with flash boiler, (see http://www.steamboating.de/boats/sca-main.html ), and am presently building a 20 ft sidewheeler with a walking beam engine, gunboat type boiler. I also have an electric-only launch, 14ft long, 3/4HP 24 VDC, swinging a 14x17 prop at 400 RPM, just for use until the steamer gets running.

Hope to be able to contribute to the steamboating hobby in many ways.

KNO3
Just Starting Out

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:25 pm Post subject:
Hi and welcome. Any pictures of your sidewheeler?

fredrosse
Just Starting Out

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:02 pm Post subject:
The sidewheeler hull is not started yet, I have finished the engine, am currently putting the boiler together, and will do the hull in the spring. I am not able to post pictures of the engine, I do not know how. If someone could send a private message with instructions of how this could be done I would be very grateful.

In terms of labor and money, things should breakdown about as follows:

Walking Beam Engine, with wet vacuum pump, feedwater pump, shafts and paddlewheels, 600 Hours Labor, 700USD Materials.

ASME Boiler, Made by Boiler Shop with ASME "S" Stamp, 13,000USD
Same boiler, made by me without "S" stamp, 100 Hours Labor, 900USD Materials.

Boat Hull, simple flat bottom hull, wood frames, fiberglass over plywood exterior, 200 Hours Labor, 800USD Materials.

Fitting out steam plant, pipe, fittings, water tanks, hand pumps, hotwell, surface condenser, etc. 60 Hours Labor, 300 USD Materials.

KNO3
Just Starting Out

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:03 am Post subject:
You need to host the pictures on another website, you can't upload them directly here. Try www.photobucket.com to upload your pictures, then copy the link in your message here.

Maltelec
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:37 am Post subject:
To put a picture on the forum you need to host it somewhere, like Photobucket.

www.photobucket.com

You then make an account, upload the picture to your computer, make sure it is public so everyone can see it, click on the URL of the picture and copy it (Photobucket copies it for you).

Then come on here.

In a new topic or a reply to a topic, you will see a button saying "Img" above the text box

Press this button, paste your picture URL in after it (right click and paste) and then press the "*Img" button again, noticing the * will dissappear meaning it is done (like closing brackets).

Press submit when you are done typing.

So, your text box should look something like this:

This is a picture of my boat

> Then when you submit the message, the "Image" section will become the picture.

If it doesn't work, check the URL and check it is between a "Image"