Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Steam boat experience course

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:43 pm

Posted on behalf of JonD:

JonD
Just Starting Out

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:17 am Post subject: Steam boat experience course
I'm trying to track down somewhere in the UK that does steam boat experience courses as a birthday present for my wife. Most preserved railways offer steam locomotive driving experience days but I can't find anywhere that offers anything similar on steam boats.

Edward
Lighting the Boiler

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:43 pm Post subject:
Dear Jon ,
I'm afraid there is no such place or organization that offers exactly what you're looking for . There are some commercial steamboats/launches which are available for hire , two on the Thames are fairly large and you would need to have a party of 20-30 to make it worthwhile . There is a smallish paddle steamer on the Isle of White which would be more suitable for a small group and an open launch at Fowey.
The difficulty is that as soon as one starts to go commercial the legal and insurance requirements become excessive .
I think your best hope is a response from a SBA member to the notice you have put on the SBA Bulletin Board , it might also help if you said where you were located .
Sorry Ican't be more helpful , if you want to talk about it E-Mail me your telephone number and I'll give you a call.

yours sincerely Edward