Colonial River Steamers (Heart of Darkness)

Moderator: csonics

csonics
Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Colonial River Steamers (Heart of Darkness)

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:59 pm

Posted on behalf of P.F.Cuthbert@Classicfm.ne:

P.F.Cuthbert@Classicfm.ne
Steam on Deck

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:01 pm Post subject: Colonial River Steamers (Heart of Darkness)
Dear Steamboating Enthusiasts

I have received another query for which I would welcome your knowledgeable assistance:

"I am an artist currently working on an illustrated adaptation of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, to be published next year. I wonder if you can help me - as I'm sure you know most of the story takes place on an old steamboat - the one Conrad actually travelled down the Congo in was the SS Roi des Belges ( [img]http://en.wikipedia.org%20wiki/File:Roi_des_belges.jpg[/img] ).

I am trying to find a reference model for this kind of vessel, and I haven't had any luck with the National Maritime Museum collections
or really anywhere else - there seem to be a great deal of large steamship models, but none of the sort that is usually associated with Heart of Darkness.

I was wondering if perhaps you knew a specific name for this kind of steam ship, or whether you would know of anywhere I could get access to a model of one?

Catherine Anyango <catherine>"

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Pete