Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Edwardian Generating Equipment

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:02 pm

Posted on behalf of P.F.Cuthbert@Classicfm.ne:

P.F.Cuthbert@Classicfm.ne
Steam on Deck

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:14 pm Post subject: Edwardian Generating Equipment
Dear Steamboaters

Whilst wearing my SBA Secretary "hat" I have received the following request and wondered if anyone can help:

"I'm currently working on a new Channel 4 series about the engineering that went into the Titanic and I was wondering whether you could help me with a couple of questions I have.

One of the programmes is going to focus on the electricity on board the Titanic and we're hoping to find and restore to working order a generating set of that period. The generators were powered by steam and at the end of the programme we'd like to climax on a challenge, which may involve running some bulbs from the generator to light up a bridge, tower or possibly a boat.

The fact that the original generators were obviously on a ship means I'd love to find a generator on a boat that we could fire up. So my main question is do you know of any boats that may have a dynamo from the early 1900s on board that we may be able to gain access to, and if so, who would I need to contact?

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. My number in the office is 020 7424 7753 and my email address is johnnyshipley@twentytwenty.tv

Many thanks for your any help you can give me.

Best wishes,

Johnny"

I have put the same post on the SBA Bulletin Board to zero response, so I am relying on you folks!

Regards

Pete

87gn@tahoe
Full Ahead

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:18 pm Post subject:
Have you tried contacting any of the large restored steam vessel operators?

I'm sure there must be someone out there willing to step up to the challenge.
-'64 Buick Riviera
-'65 Buick Special WAGON

P.F.Cuthbert@Classicfm.ne
Steam on Deck

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:02 pm Post subject:
Thanks for the suggestion, Wes. I have had a few other suggestions by e-mail and PMs, so my enquirer now seems happy.

Regards

Pete

Maltelec
Site Admin

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:28 pm Post subject:
One thought that springs to mind - with electrickery being relatively new in that era, would they have used a standard type generator coupled to a marine style engine? Rather than a marine style generator as we know of them today.

artemis
Just Starting Out

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:13 pm Post subject:
Please folks, don't waste time with an internet to touch.

GOOGLE: titanic electrical system - on just the first page alone, there are enough sites with information to rebuild the complete electrical system for Titanic. Manufacturers names, equipment models, types of wire, grounding (it was a 100vDC system). Don't be lazy, give your fingers a little exercise "Let your fingers do the walking".

Ron