Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re-set Bourbon Gauge

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:13 pm

Posted on behalf of daysaver1:

daysaver1
Just Starting Out

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:46 am Post subject: Re-set Bourbon Gauge
I have a couple old pressure gauges and none of them show zero at rest. The needles point anywhere from 20 to 60 lbs. A couple are assembled with screws allowing diss-assembly of the gears, but some seem to be rivetted together. One could merely remove and replace the dial into the right position, but with the gears engaged, there may not be enough travel left to operate at higher pressures. Does one just use brute force to bend the bourbon tube back? How does one reset these things?
Bruce Jahn in Livermore, CA
My hull is a 16 foot steel lifeboat. Don Mentzer of Medford, Or built my 2.5x3 engine and I helped him build the 40 sq ft Roberts type boiler. I've set a schedule to have the boat under way at the Rocky Point, Oregon steamboat event June 2009.

Maltelec
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:00 pm Post subject:
What you need to do is to use a tool to pull the needle off the spindle (generally these push the spindle in while pulling the needle off, like a bike chain) and push it back on at 0.

Then you should test the gauge to make sure it reads the correct pressures. Sometimes you may find at below 20psi it reads wrong, so you may want to set the gauge at 100psi, push the needle on at 100psi and hopefully the needle should hit the stop pin at 0psi rather than read negative.

Just remember that it is the maximum pressure which is most important to be correct and the lower pressures are more of an indicator than a critical reading.