Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

York engine builders - Question on material selection

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:14 pm

Posted on behalf of marinesteam:

marinesteam
Lighting the Boiler

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:54 pm Post subject: York engine builders - Question on material selection
I was getting ready to buy some more material for my York engine build and ran into a little snag that I can hope someone can help with.

Part PC27-B which are the HP & LP valve stem gland nuts are spec'd as brass. I am wondering if I can substitute bronze for these parts. I don't see any function reason that bronze couldn't be substituted, but wanted to see if anyone has an opinion.

The reason I'm asking is that when I looked to buy the brass from my favorite metals houses I can either: buy a six foot bar at $38 / foot or a one foot bar at $90 / foot (diiferent suppliers). Since I only need 4 inches, I feel real bad about buying six feet and feel like I'm getting screwed buying the foot at $90. I have a friend who has some bronze drop offs in the right size but don't want to create some unintended problem by unintentionally substituting the wrong material.

Thanks

Ken

Colorado, USA

Froya66
Just Starting Out

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:36 am Post subject:
Hi Ken

I am not extremely experienced, but I have made a few nut from brass as well as bronce.

If I happen to have a piece of bronce that fit the size of nut I want to make, I prefer to use that.

The bronce is a litle stronger and more ductile than the brass.

I believe that brass is normally used for nuts due to the smaller cupper content, and thereby a lower price.

Best regards
Jørgen Hansen
Esbjerg Denmark

preaton
Just Starting Out

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:58 am Post subject:
I used LG2 bronze. Easy machining and stronger than brass. For a real engine (as opposed to a model engine) bronze is the way to go.

Good luck

Paul

P.F.Cuthbert@Classicfm.ne
Steam on Deck

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:55 pm Post subject:
Dear Ken

Having just read you query it called to mind a comment somebody made recently about nuts in hot places (if you see what I mean).

Could it be that the nut is specified as brass rather than steel simply to make it easier to remove after it has been subject to some time at high temperature and humidity? The immediate similarity that springs to mind are the exhaust manifold nut on automobiles. I believe that they were brass rather than steel to facilitate removal. (Mind you, I have barely opened the bonnet of a car for 20 years so have no idea what they are made of now!)

Best wishes

Pete