Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Prawn trap puller

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:55 pm

Posted on behalf of farmerden:

farmerden
Warming the Engine

Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:09 pm Post subject: Prawn trap puller
Out here in B.C. we fish for prawns and crabs and other stuff! The prawns are down 300 ft and while they do make a dandy 12 volt winch to pull the traps [The motor is actually a windshield wiper motor-so not much power needed] wouldn't it be just great to make a steam driven puller? Any thoughts?? Den P.S. the electric one draws the rope thru a series of pulleys [I guess like that thing on a sailboat to lift the sail is that a windlass?] then the rope free falls into a 5 gal bucket neatly coiling itself! Humm just what I need another project! what I really need is another me!!

farmerden
Warming the Engine

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:24 pm Post subject: prawn trap puller
I'll need a separate condensor as the main engine and pumps will not be operating while lifting traps. Or do these small steam engines use so little steam that a guy could just let it exhaust-now that would sound great wouldn't it! Or we could could run a condenser coil thru a large pot then to the hot-well -The pot would soon boil and we could cook the prawns on the spot.That should one-up the Windamere Kettle! Den

Maltelec
Site Admin

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:47 pm Post subject:
Assuming you need a condenser, how about a Stuart Turner D10 engine?

Or a Sirrius if you want something a bit stronger.