Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Further treatment for softened boiler feed water

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:56 pm

Posted on behalf of Graysteam:

Graysteam
Just Starting Out

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:43 am Post subject: Further treatment for softened boiler feed water
Hello all,

I have just bought a steam boat and am new to this although I have professional experience of commercial and industrial steam plants using base or ion exchange water softening methods for feed water.

I have access to unlimited quantities of water softened by a commercial reverse osmosis plant which softens our tap water from about 285 ppm total hardness to 8 ppm. I obviously want to use this as feed water and know that further treatment is required to de-oxygenate and increase PH. The previous owner used Multitreat TC from Heritage Steam Supplies with ordinary tap water. The boat's system is fully condensing, slightly superheated at 120 psi. I can accurately test for hardness and PH.

I am concerned that the normal dose of Heatreat to a tea colour may be too high and cause priming (foaming) with softened water and I am well aware of the dangers of this.

Has anyone any experience? I have emailed Heritage steam who declined to reply but sent standard, very unscientific, info on dosage levels.

Thanks,

Graham

Graysteam
Just Starting Out

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:49 am Post subject:
We have now steamed up using the softened water with Multitreat TC to the standard tea colour with no signs of priming whatsoever. All went very well on a run of about 2 hours.
Graham

87gn@tahoe
Full Ahead

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:00 pm Post subject:
great to hear...

too bad the manufacturer was less than helpful
-'64 Buick Riviera
-'65 Buick Special WAGON