Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Gasket Material

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:03 pm

Posted on behalf of Frank Kitching:

Frank Kitching
Just Starting Out

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:44 pm Post subject: Gasket Material
Dear All,What is the best gasket material for A. Cylinder heads and B. Steam chest covers, the originals were homemade paper, still with some printing on them, also whats the best gland packing for piston rod glands. Frank.

Maltelec
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:26 pm Post subject:
You can't use asbestos now

mcandrew1894
Full Ahead

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:18 pm Post subject:
I know the Model IC engine guys swear by sheet teflon for head gaskets.
I have'nt tried it yet, but it may be worth a try...It will take the heat to 500 F. My teflon piston rings work great!...but use a float lap joint to seal them.

My engine uses standard automotive gasket material on the heads and has so far worked just fine. Viton O rings work very well on my engine for static seals around the valve sleeves and the receiver plumbing

Dave

steamjohn248
Just Starting Out

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:16 pm Post subject: gasket material
dont bother with gaskets use high temperature gasket 'goo' available in presurised cans from automotive spares outlets. A bit like silicone sealant except you dont need a gun. keep the cap on and it will always work next time you want it without having to clear the nozzle. works for steam, hot water, oil and funnel/flue joints. Good for 230 deg.C. Only thing it does not like is petrol but perhaps that will not be a problem in most steam plants. Brand name of the one we use on all our locos/ marine steram plants is Granville Oil and Chemical Ltd Rotheram Yorks Tel. 01709 891121
Usual disclaimer

farmerden
Warming the Engine

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:01 pm Post subject:
I started using "never-seeze" with automobile gaskets-works well for me and I don't destroy the gasket when I have to take it apart! It works well with the pipe fittings as well [I always worry about breaking something when I knock it apart in winter!] -Remember just tight enough not to leak-someone has to get it apart later and sometimes not with the right tools! Den

P.F.Cuthbert@Classicfm.ne
Steam on Deck

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:32 pm Post subject:
Hi Folks

Just a thought from a non-engineer. A friend has just sent me a catalogue of gaskets aimed primarily at the Petro-Chem industry. They all seem to be very happy with steam at quite high temperatures, so it might be worth a look. The firm operates worldwide, and to my great surprise the UK base is just down the road from here:

James Walker & Co Ltd
Customer Support Centre
1 Millennium Gate, Westmere Drive
Crewe, Cheshire CW1 6AY, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1270 536000
Fax: +44 (0)1270 536100
Email: csc@jameswalker.biz

They might cut to your pattern or send you some material by the meter.

Regards

Pete

barts
Lighting the Boiler

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:56 pm Post subject:
For steam gaskets, I've used either high temperature silicone "form-a-gasket" automotive material or industrial steam gasket material from mcmaster-carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/#steam-gaskets/=3u30ml

For frequently removed components, the sheet gasket is much less annoying; the silicone rubber is easier to make .

My safety is set at 180 psi and we don't run superheat.

- Bart
Menlo Park, CA