Boat Name: No Boat Yet

colloidial graphite

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:07 pm

Posted on behalf of richard orr:

richard orr
Just Starting Out

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:22 pm Post subject: colloidial graphite
Howdy ya'll
My name is Richard Orr. I'm here in Arkansas building a 36 foot sternwheeler over a period of ten years. It is almost complete, minus the boiler. I plan to make a screwed togather Lamont type boiler, the idea of which is sure to raise some eyebrows. More on that later.
My current question is about colloidial graphite lubrication. Has anyone out there ever used it on an engine running with saturated steam? Is it intended only for lubrication or does it have rust prevention properties? Is it introduces into the main steam line with a quil as would be done with oil?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Richard

87gn@tahoe
Full Ahead

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:28 am Post subject:
The SBA's publication "The Funnel" had a bit on it a while back.

If I remember correctly, you're supposed to mix it with deionized water and introduce with a quill. I think it was mentioned that this method didn't seem to work too well with superheated steam, but worked great with saturated.

I will have to look in my back-issues to see what I can find.
-'64 Buick Riviera
-'65 Buick Special WAGON

richard orr
Just Starting Out

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:26 pm Post subject: colloidial graphite
Thank you for your reply about colloidial graphite. Would like to know more about it's properties such as weather it helps to seal piston rings. I have not read any issues of Funnel and am wondreing how it compaires with Steamboating? By the way I am also a tree climber (urban tree care)

87gn@tahoe
Full Ahead

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:04 am Post subject:
The Funnel is a VERY well done quarterly publication, all in colour, around 80 pages in length, very informative with MANY contributing members from aroud the world.

People are using the graphite in leu of steam cylinder oil to prevent from getting oil into the boiler on boats fitted with condensers. So it will help lubricate rings, but I am unsure whether it will promote sealing. Though I would imagine that with a properly seated ring (through use of a good break-in procedure), that the need for a sealing medium would be minimal.

I am sure someone with MUCH more knowledge and experience could chime in here and give much better advice. I will search my "funnel" archives in the meantime.

We do residential tree work as well as forest fuels reduction work. We work mainly in conifers with the rare decidious tree thrown in the mix. I'm going to work on becoming a licensed arborist through the ISA hopefully within the next year. This is my second season and I am already the company's sole climber (other than the owner). I have A LOT to learn.

Where are you located?
-'64 Buick Riviera
-'65 Buick Special WAGON

mcandrew1894
Full Ahead

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:07 am Post subject:
Interesting comments

Sabino runs without internal oil with the exception of a couple of squirts from an oil can once or twice a day. Then we still needed the filter system to get it out before the boiler.

The procedure was at the dock with the engine stopped. Pull the bonnet off the top HP drain valve, stick the cylinder oil can spout into the drain port and pump in a squirt or two. This would be plenty of lubrication usually for 10-14 hours of steaming.....most of the time.

This was on a 7 x 14 x 12 compound......your mileage may vary.

I run no internal lube and have not needed to yet.. My engine is a 1.5 x 3.0 x 2.5

I wait to hear about graphite though...

Dave

richard orr
Just Starting Out

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:12 pm Post subject: coloidial graphite
Hello Westley,
So, Funnel sounds like they have it togather. Think I'll take out a subscription. What do you mean by "proper break in" when refering to rings? I imagine it would have to do with slow r.p.m. , low pressure, no load and saturated steam?
I also used to do t.s.i. for the forestry along with building trails. Some of it around Sonora, Calif. I have six years agriculture trees and I"ve lost count on urban-I.s.a.certified I'm 56 and still climbing But I'm getting ba bit btired of it and am building my sternwheeler to work south of the border in the tourist trade..