Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Archibald's Mystery Engine Image...Finally

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:14 am

Posted on behalf of John Archibald:

John Archibald
Just Starting Out

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:58 pm Post subject: Archibald's Mystery Engine Image...Finally
Hello,

I just joined this Forum and was wondering if someone could identify this engine. It will be going into a lapstrake launch one day. Bores are 2.50 and 4.00 and Stroke is 3 inches. There is a "K" cast into one of the steam chest covers. Someone has suggested to me that this is a Kiley engine, but if that is true, does anyone know anything about Kiley engines and where and when they were made, etc.?

I will try to post an image of it on this Forum shortly. Looks like one has to go to PhotoBucket first to do this.

Otherwise, e-mail me directly at: leadminer@qwest.net I can send images to you then.

I skipped a few steps, but I think I have it now. See image below. Need identity and when and where this engine may have been made if anyone knows, please.

John Archibald
Just Starting Out

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:01 pm Post subject: Trouble with Site
Folks,

Offhand I would say that posting images is the weak point on this Forum.

Archibald

John Archibald
Just Starting Out

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:14 pm Post subject:
Folks,

I have a direct link given below that SHOULD take you to PhotoBucket where an image of my mystery engine resides.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh23 ... -03-08.jpg

Try that, please.

Regards,

selfy
Just Starting Out

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:29 am Post subject:
Hi John,
welcome to the site and great to see you've got to grips with posting photo's.....I ask my better half to do that for me!!
whats the history behind the engine?
Regards
Paul

marinesteam
Lighting the Boiler

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:58 pm Post subject:
Take a look at the Smokstak forums. there is an antique marine engine section and someone there may have some idea as to where your engine came from.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisp ... 407e6&f=38.

Good luck, it's a nice looking engine.

Do you have any plans for it?

Ken

Maltelec
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:41 pm Post subject:
Hi John

The problem you were having with posting a picture was you had the wrong code for the forum. When you have another picture you would like to post, you should copy the "Image" part on Photobucket and not the HTML code. Once you're used to it, it all makes some sort of sense.

I've also put a smaller version of the picture on the forum here as the original picture took up too much room.

Is it me or is the reciever pipe going uphill?

John Archibald
Just Starting Out

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:14 pm Post subject:
Maltelec wrote:
Hi John

The problem you were having with posting a picture was you had the wrong code for the forum. When you have another picture you would like to post, you should copy the "Image" part on Photobucket and not the HTML code. Once you're used to it, it all makes some sort of sense.

I've also put a smaller version of the picture on the forum here as the original picture took up too much room.

Is it me or is the reciever pipe going uphill?
Folks,

When you say plans do you mean drawings or intentions?

I do not have any drawings. I do, however, plan to put it in an 18 foot lapstrake hull to be built by me in a few years.

The engine was bequeathed to me by my father who horse traded for over 50 years to get it. In the end he traded a Navy K for it that was too big for his plan...to put it in a boat. He died and so went that plan.

The trade included that the engine shown be completely restored and a bit of cash thrown in to cement the deal. He got exactly what he wanted.

My mother almost sold this engine after my father died. I reminded her that he had horse traded for over 50 years to get this engine and that it shouldn't be sold. She didn't need the money. About a year later she called me and said she was giving the engine to me; that he would have wanted it that way.

Luckily for me she came to her senses!

My parents resided in Massachusetts for the last 20 years or so of this saga.

I'm trying to find out the maker and the when and where, etc. It's a 2.50 X 4.00 X 3.00 inch stroke. Plating is nickel. Stephenson link. A beauty.

mcandrew1894
Full Ahead

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:32 am Post subject:
John,

Are the cranks on that engine at 180 degrees or 90 degrees?

The Reciever looks kind of small to be at 90, and I can't see the crank.

Curiousity only....she is a pretty engine.

Dave

John Archibald
Just Starting Out

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:40 pm Post subject: ARCHIBALD'S MYSTERY ENGINE NO MYSTERY NOW
Dave McAndrew, ( I think it was Dave )

The cranks are 90 degrees from each other.

I have since found out that this is a Nordbert ( or Nordberg ) Kealey engine that is almost exactly the same as a Stuart 6A, but has longer rods and heavier bearings. That explains the big K cast into the steam chest cover. Kealey was from around Toledo, Ohio and used to sell these engines in the 1950s and 60s I believe. I do not know if he sold them as kits, or castings with perhaps drawings or if they were sold finished.

In either case, I would love to find a set of drawings of this engine if anyone knows where a set could be obtained.

Regards,

John Archibald
Northfield, Minnesota
507-663-7792

John Archibald
Just Starting Out

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:54 pm Post subject:
Dave et al,

Here is another shot showing the crossheads and cranks.

Archibald