Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

looking for advice about steam engine

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Posted on behalf of aw76:

aw76
Just Starting Out

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:32 am Post subject: looking for advice about steam engine
Hello,

I am looking for advice/assistance for a project that I am involved with. The goal is to create a low-cost, sustainable energy source as one of the components of a sustainable farm located.

The basis of the sustainable farm is open sourced technology used in an ecologically sound manner. I highly recommend that you check out the link at www.factorefarm.org and see what is being done.

A solar collector is currently in development that should produce 150 psi of working steam pressure, and a mass flow rate of steam of 5 pounds per minute. The next requirement is to use that steam to power an engine or turbine.

I was hoping that someone would be able to recommend an engine (in the 5-7 hp range) that would be a suitable fit for this set-up. Any advice or suggestions on how/where we could locate a low cost unit, (or even better, a donated one for testing purposes, to see how well the system will work) would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your assistance,

Stuart

Edward
Lighting the Boiler

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:55 am Post subject:
Dear Stuart ,
What an interesting project .
A few years ago most hospitals had generators/standby generators which used the large amounts of otherwise waste steam produced by their laundries etc. I think that with the outsourcing of such services all of these generators have been scrapped , but you might be lucky , though I suspect their output (if there are any left for disposal) might be more than you want.
I know of no one in the UK who produces such a set up .High speed direct coupled generating sets were manufactured from about 1890-1912 for marine and country house use , such sets are as rare as hens teeth and are either scrapped or firmly ensconced in museums or private collections . There wouldn't be any problem in belt driving a generator from a steam engine ,but you need to find both a generator and steam engine both of which suit your requirements and resources.
The steam output you quote looks promising and an engine capable of meeting your needs would probably fit comfortably in a footprint of about 4'x2'6" (depending on the type of engine chosen.) I think a horizontal engine would be best , easy to get to all components and oiling points etc. If you want a semi automatic set up (ie a unit which senses when there is a power need and starts up automatically) you will need a twin cylinder engine but I suspect that this might introduce complications and cost which you would want to avoid .
Steam engines can be very reliable and provided they are well lubricated can run at moderate load almost indefinitely ; but they do need occasional attention and as there are so few about spares usually have to be custom made and fitted ; this can be expensive unless you have the facilities to machine parts from castings or solid yourself ( or know some one who can).

As I said earlier I know of no one in the UK who specializes or who has direct experience in what you want but there is a supplier in Australia who appears to have produced almost exactly what you're after. I suggest you contact Rod Muller at strathsteam@olis.net.au . I'm fairly certain he has an agent in the UK and even if you don't want to import from Australia he is very helpful and I'm sure can give you more detailed advice/information than I can. If you want to look at his website just Google strathsteam

I hope this has been of some interest and good luck with your project.
Edward.

PS. Let us know how you get on. Although not strictly to do with
Steam boating I'm sure other members of the forum will be
interested.

artemis
Just Starting Out

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:19 pm Post subject:
Stuart:

Don't know on what part of the world you are located but there are some small commercial operations that have experience with and build steam powered electrical generating systems.

Mike Brown (located in the USA) at http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/mbsteam.htm
started with the "great Millennium scare" in about 1997. He has a couple of small plants, but in recent years has developed a 20HP engine. I have heard conflicting reports about his integrity but have no firsthand knowledge

Rod Muller at Strath Steam (located in Australia) at http://www.strathsteam.com/
started in on marine, but became sidetracked by a demand for electrical generating systems needed by "stations" (ranches) in the Australian outback. He's been doing it for over 20 years and, while I've never seen his gen sets, I have operated and installed his engines. I have the highest regard for their good engineering and quality construction.

There are several others around. You might look at the links pages of some steamboating websites such as the International Steamboat Society at http://www.steamboating.org as many steamboat engines will satisfy your needs. I personally believe that a marine two cylinder, high speed vertical would be best suited and probably readily available. Strath Steam can supply your needs best in that area.

Sorry, Edward, that those of you in the homeland have lost this precious independence, but us colonials will carry on.

Edward
Lighting the Boiler

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:40 am Post subject:
Dear Stuart,
Another thought:
It would be worth your while to have a look at the Preston Steam Services website www.prestonservices.co.uk/generators.htm
They don't have a reputation for being cheap but you can see what is readily available in the way of older equipment. Most of what they are advertising is much too large for your requirement, but you might get lucky.
The disavantages of buying an old(ish) set are that you may be paying a premium for an "antique" or rare set and it will have been made to meet someone else's requirements which may not be quite the same as yours'. Older generators will not be nearly as efficient as modern ones using state of the art magnets and solid state electronics. They may also have been run into the ground by previous owners and need major overhaul. On the other hand if your steam is nearly "free" efficiency may not be so important , DIY repairs are also more feasible on older ones.
Yours Sincerely Edward.

fredrosse
Just Starting Out

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:38 pm Post subject:
Small Steam Engine for Independent Power Production

The best type of engine for your application would be similar to the one developed for the Whitecliffs project. Although the Whitecliffs steam engine was larger and used higher-pressure steam, the general form is correct for a rural heat – power system with solar heat energy or wood/biomass fuel systems.

I have a 4.5 horsepower poppet valve uniflow engine, designed for use in such applications. This machine powered my house (and exhaust steam heated the house) with an automatic coal fired boiler for several years. This machine is discussed in an ASME publication, and I can e-mail a PowerPoint presentation if you would like to know more.

FRROSSE at AOL dot COM Where are you located?