Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Need more info... large-ish marine compound

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Posted on behalf of 87gn@tahoe:

87gn@tahoe
Full Ahead

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:57 pm Post subject: Need more info... large-ish marine compound
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed more light on the history of this engine and/or manufacturer. Or perhaps you know someone in the ABV that might be able to help.

What we know;

My father bought (and restored) this engine from Jim Boes in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1997. According to Mr. Boes, he bought it from a gentleman who recovered it in Southeast Asia in the '60's.

It is a compound which appears to have been built for marine use. Built in Argenteuil (near Paris), France in 1924. The engine measures 6"&10"X7", slide valves on HP and LP, SLRG, feed and condensate pump run via scotch yoke at the front of the engine, Rear-most main bearing has integral thrust bearing. The baseplate, colums, and bottom cylinder covers are all one casting. Many parts on the engine are stamped with a "2", leading us to believe that it was #2 in a pair.

The builders plate reads as follows:

CLAPAREDE
INGENIEUR
CONSTRUCTEUR
ARGENTEUIL
pres PARIS
1924 No. 6703

On either side of the bedplate casting it also says "Model Depose" (I think my spelling might be off) which *I think* essentially means "patent pending".

Pictures:

Thanks in advance,

Wesley
-'64 Buick Riviera
-'65 Buick Special WAGON

87gn@tahoe
Full Ahead

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:07 pm Post subject:
My father and I were really looking for more info on the builder and whether or not any other engines exist from this manufacturer of this design or of a different design.

Perhaps I'll have to send something to the SBA so they can put my request in the Funnel.
-'64 Buick Riviera
-'65 Buick Special WAGON

mcandrew1894
Full Ahead

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:00 am Post subject:
I have not heard the name before, but I have'nt heard of many French engines.

She's about 25-35 HP I suspect at about 200 rpm

She has no crank counterweights and integral pumps, so I think 200 is about it.

I think she was well designed and constructed, probably for a fishing boat as the reverse levers are split as they are, it would appear the engineer was also the helmsmen/deck hand?

Usually when they split the reverse like that it's to go up a deck....like say 6 - 8 feet. One could get the impression that the engine deck that engine came from was just 3 or 4 feet down from the main deck.

It's hard to put into context without the vessel. Was that feature a foreshortend link from the original boat?....I can't imagine that though as she is such a small engine for a two deck boat.....even as a pair.

Doing a google search of Claparede+engineers+engines, brought up quite a bit of information about the company. It would appear they were in business as far back as 1861 if not longer and built locomotives and marine engines amoung other things.

Hope that helps....

Dave

87gn@tahoe
Full Ahead

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:22 pm Post subject:
Dave,

I the "splitting" of the reversing lever that you are referring to is actually an optical illusion. It's actually the mock-throttle handle that my right hand was playing with... Testing out the ergonomics of the setup while maneuvering.

Thanks for the search tip, I have tried searching before but with poor results.. Perhaps things have gotten better, or I was searching with the wrong key words.

Thanks again,

wes
-'64 Buick Riviera
-'65 Buick Special WAGON

mcandrew1894
Full Ahead

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:41 am Post subject:
ahhhhh OK, that last engine I saw that on was a 750 BHP compound and it is 21 feet high!.....makes sense there!

Dave