Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

economizer installation

Post by csonics » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:09 pm

Posted on behalf of Steve Morrison:

Steve Morrison
Just Starting Out

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:54 pm Post subject: economizer installation
Please give me an idea of where to plug in the ends of the economizer tubing. Also do I need anything more than 1/4" tubing? I have a Semple V-twin approx 10 hp and a horizontal water tube boiler about 48'. I have easy access to the steam drum and one of the downcomers. Suggestions will be appreciated.

Steve

Maltelec
Site Admin

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:56 pm Post subject:
Water in the bottom of the coil, you don't want it entering the top, turning to steam, running down and acting as a super heater instead of a feed heater!

There has always been some debait about where to have the bypass valve. Some people put it before the feed heater and some after. Personally I would have it after otherwise the feed heater will get very hot without any flowing water.

steamboatjack
Urchin

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:52 am Post subject:
A word of caution here, its bad practice to have a coil of pipe with a valve each end in the uptake as should the valves be left shut it may burst (iverspective of material & thickness). The economiser should be the last thing in the line before entering the boiler via a feed check as this water is the hottest. Should the feed check have a shut off arrangement the coil should have a dedicated safety valve, this only needs to be a small indicator valve set at high pressure.
Should you run a bypass after the economiser the heat should be saved in the hotwell although you may find that you boil the feed and gas up the pumps.
The coil should be arranged so that it is flooded all the time, asuming you have a single pass coil the feed piping and the coil should be a minimum of 3/8 for a 10HP engine.

regards jack