Propeller Pitch - what it means and choosing the right one

Want to know a general knowledge question? Or think you can answer some simple questions? Have a look here.
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Re: Propeller Pitch - what it means and choosing the right one

Post by artemis » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:36 pm

farmerden wrote:Dietrich OK I tried that .I used 820 RPM,Ratio of 2 ,Pitch of 28 ,Speed of 7.1 MPH and that gave me a slip of .35. That is reasonablely close as using my GPS at 410 RPM ,pitch of 28,speed of 7.1 MPH I had calculated slip at 38. What I wanted to do was slow the engine down to 375 go to a 21 in D and a pitch of 24,same speed and the slip came down to .16.The reason for this is my boiler is maxed out,if I slow the engine down I should be able to run at a higher steam pressure which should make my compound run more efficiently and make up for the loss of power because of lower RPM's! Life is just one grand experiment isn't it? :lol: Den
Summer's well into it here in the great Pacific NW. :D Did you ever do the prop switch :?: What were the results :?: :?:
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Re: Propeller Pitch - what it means and choosing the right one

Post by farmerden » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:00 am

Just missed a 21"X24" 3blade on E-bay for $130.00 I was already bidding on a similar 4 blade-which I didn't get. But playing with a propeller works. Stan Knowles picked up a knot [3.5 up to 4.5] just by playing with the prop. I'm so busy building a new boatshop I haven't had much time to go boating this year! Den
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Re: Propeller Pitch - what it means and choosing the right o

Post by farmerden » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:13 am

It seems to me that those of us with a big fat keel [that's on the boat! no wise comments!] would do better with 4 blades than three.That would keep more blade surface out in the water instead of one blade hiding behind the keel Two would be even worse I think .Anybody have any experience with this? DenImage[/img]

If you can blow this photo up enough you can see one blade is totally hidden behind the keel and skeg
johnp
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cardinal Queen

Re: Propeller Pitch - what it means and choosing the right o

Post by johnp » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:46 pm

So, if ihave a hull with a speed of 4.472136*1.34=5.99knots(6.89mph) my pitch should be 18". and the Diameter to run at 400rpm should be?