Renewed Introduction

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: Renewed Introduction

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:45 pm

On Folly this the state of things this Winter:

A Strath Steam Warrego, 3 x 4 Piston valve single. driving an 18 x 20 three blade prop. A VFT 30 boiler with 60-1" tubes. No feedwater preheat. Too much condenser area. The hot well runs warm but not hot at all.

The boat is lightweight and easily driven if crude and visually embarrassing. 24' x 6'. It has a nice run aft but has no room for more screw diameter. I do have an 18 x 24 propeller waiting in the wings if needed.

I am currently boiler limited for speed. I plan on adding a steam stack blower for spurts of performance.

For efficiency, I'm going to go for the low hanging fruits first. Some twisted steel sheet turbulators in the flues. Then and exhaust feed water heater. We'll see after that.

But before any of this, some long runs at sustainable speeds to measure the present consumption. You are the first person I know of to publish any wood consumption data. All before has been of the sort exemplified by, "An arm load gets me all over the bay." Sort of what I tell people now.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama