Hello to everyone

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
cuz i Ken
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: S.S. NORMAN J

Hello to everyone

Post by cuz i Ken » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:31 am

Wanted to say hello to all,

My name is Ken... live in SW Michigan.... just joined the suggestion from someone who is part of your community...
I have been around boats for some time, but only recently acquired my dream steam boat. She's a twenty foot Beckman, with a 5 HP Semple. Moves very well and easy to operate .
I spent the winter organizing and improving the boat. Looking forward to the spring to steam the waters again.
Are the any fellow steamboats near Sw Michigan?
Best Regards
Ken
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Hello to everyone

Post by DetroiTug » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:50 am

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the forum. I'm over in SE Michigan. There are a few active steamers here in the state. Coincidentally, there is another guy named Ken with a Rose 20 and 5 hp Semple over in the Saugatuk area. He calls his boat Steamboat Willy. er maybe that's you? :) There is a couple other guys that are very active near Grand Rapids. Then there are three or four around here.

Our annual meet is coming up in July at Hastings southwest of Lansing. The Mid Michigan Steamboat meet. It's usually listed on the Steamboating Magazine website under events or meets calendar.

-Ron
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:25 am

Welcome Ken, from the other side of the 'Pond'.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Welcome to the forum Ken.

Do you have any pictures of your boat?
Rainer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Emma and Molly

Post by Rainer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:15 am

Welcome Ken - from Germany.

Yes - show us some pictures of your boat. Especially pictures from the unfinished boat are interesting because you can see things which will disappear under covers later...

Rainer
cuz i Ken
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: S.S. NORMAN J

Post by cuz i Ken » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks to all....
I actually found a pic of my boat posted on this site when I was to sell her.. (20 footer for sale)
Changed my mind...took a different direction with restoring her this winter.. Almost finished with a Mahogany bench seat working on as of today. When I purchased this boat, it was with some apprehension, knowing that it takes a commitment of time. I only have weekends, due to traveling for business, to spend time building or restoring, so you,ll find me in the garage through Sunday..
This is my second project, from perspective of boat building. I built a sternwheeler here in SW Michigan, which was an ice cream business( Countryloft Ice Cream,LLC).
Long story here, but , if you can view the video on YouTube, you'll see she was powered by electric. I originally designed her to be steam powered, but after researching this,it was obvious that the task of running steam would not allow the single person approach to running a boat and selling ice cream.
We sold the business to a group out of Minnesota in 2012.. she now sails up there after being retrofitted with an outboard(he wanted to faster than 10 knots). If anyone is interested, the sternwheel and drive system is available, (joystick, electric drive).
I also have a new (still crated from 1977) Semple ft40 boiler and 5 HP and associated hardware. I was planning another sternwheeler, but not sure if I have time... may part with this as well . I am actually looking at a sterwheeler in Mobile Alabama to bring to my lake here in Michigan.
I haven't figured out how to post pics within this, so,, I will post them in the picture section...
Ken
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:24 am

Ken,

You can upload photos to www.photobucket.com

Once your photo is uploaded, click on it and to the right there should be an "img" link, click on the link (automatically copies it), then you can paste it in your post. The image will appear in your post after hitting "submit"