Writer's Request

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
AYork
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Writer's Request

Post by AYork » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:57 pm

Hello all -- I'm a Canadian novelist with some specific questions about nineteenth century steamboats in the Amazon region. If anyone has a special interest in that area, or can point me in the right direction, please let me know. (I'll post under the appropriate forum as well.) Many thanks!
S. Weaver
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Iona

Re: Writer's Request

Post by S. Weaver » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:19 pm

A, that's a big area. I know something about the Peru side around Iquitos.
Steve
AYork
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by AYork » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks for your reply, Steve. I'm writing about the Rio Negro. I know commercial steamship lines began running on the Amazon/Solimoes in the 1850s, but I'm wondering whether smaller steam launches were common (or even present) in the region circa 1867. I'm imagining a launch that sleeps three or four in the cabin and perhaps three more in hammocks under a canopy. Any ideas? - Alissa
S. Weaver
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Iona

Post by S. Weaver » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Hmm ... that's further down river than my knowledge. I am familiar with the French presence in Iquitos, Peru, and further up river, including the nature of the packets used out of Iquitos. Some of them are still rusting away in the shallows around Iquitos.

Hypothetically, smaller launches like you are describing may have been used by patrons of the larger fincas to meet the regular packets - they were used in this way in other settings. Between 1870 - 1890's, small steam launches were the power boat of necessity, used for gigs, ships boats, hotels, etc. That they could have had a presence on the Amazon and its tributaries is likely. I would start trolling the photo archives of the respective countries. It may be that Peru or Brazil have their version of Shorpy or governmental archives ...
Steve
AYork
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by AYork » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Great! Thanks, Steve.