An Historical Endeavor

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Brenton Baker
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

An Historical Endeavor

Post by Brenton Baker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:53 am

Hello steam launchers,

A bit of background:

Late last year, I began volunteering at the Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum in Vista, California. I worked almost exclusively (and, being a senior in high school with little homework and even less motivation to do the homework I had, vigorously) on the stationary steam engines and the steam traction engines we have there. I picked up an amount of experience that would have surprised me three years ago (now I recognize how much life is a continuous learning experience, and that everything that seems complicated is really just a complex set of simple rules), eventually learning the joy of solid-fuel firing full-sized boilers and restoring a 1/3 scale traction engine they had tucked away in the back of the barn, bringing it from a heap of scrap on a frame to a tuned, timed, and silent feat of precision... mostly.

Having now graduated high school and learning that my father and I must relocate to Phoenix, AZ, for his work (he worked at San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, which closed about a year ago), I have been thinking about what to do to occupy my spare time (and satisfy my love of reciprocating steam engines and need to get real-world mechanical experience before becoming an architect). After the last few months of lurking about this forum, spending hours watching videos of steam boat meets, and endlessly perusing the websites of every prominent steam launch/equipment supplier, I have decided that a steam launch is the way to go (our house will be only about an hour's drive south of Lake Pleasant).

As for which design of launch, I knew initially that no common design would work (I simply would not be satisfied with building a propeller boat). Fred Rosse's Margaret S. provided much eye candy for me (as it has done for so many), and I was initially set on the Rebel plan available from Reliable Steam Co., going so far as to order the drawings ($50 for an idea of what goes into one of these designs, why not?).

However, I recently made another discovery, which has set my mind on exactly the type of launch I would like to construct. A few days ago, I stumbled upon the story of John Fitch and his unique paddle-based method of propulsion, and I knew before the day was out that that was exactly the kind of boat I wanted to replicate.
(for those of you yet unfamiliar with the design, an engraving can be found here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ped%29.jpg

and a video of a model can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuuOhfdT8yc)

The design, I know, isn't the most efficient, or the fastest, or the prettiest. I've even heard that some say the design looks strange, which, to me, is even more reason to choose this design over others.

I understand that building a steam launch is no small endeavor, however, I am confident (in perhaps an arrogant or naive youthful way) that between my own stubborn will to learn and create, and the information and support available through the steamboating community, this endeavor will, eventually, be successful.

Brenton
"Whatever you do, do it with all your might."
- PT Barnum, "The Art of Money-Getting"
steamdon-jr
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Re: An Historical Endeavor

Post by steamdon-jr » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:10 am

Brenton,

I know Fred Rosse's boat well, even got to run her around the waters of Waterford, she is a fun boat to operate. your wanting to build the fitch will be quite a feat and hope all works well for you, I have inlaws that live in Glendale so hurry it along and I will come out and take a ride with you.

Don
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:55 am

I suspect you are completely out of your mind but I suspect that Fred is too and I learn stuff from him every day.

God luck. I can hear Fred typing right now.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:19 am

With any project it is the "wanting to" that counts.

It's the keeping on "wanting to" that is difficult.

Crack that one and you WILL succeed.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
Mfoxchicago
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: PS Tule Princess

Post by Mfoxchicago » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Hey Brenton,

Working on a project very much similar to yours in respects to bringing a Steamboat to our local lake as well. A Steamboat that no one in my part of the world has ever seen or experienced - for my part - I say go for it! We Steamboaters are nothing if not passionate and committed to our "projects". This form of engine technology had its day, perhaps it will have a resurgence again, but, in order for us to keep it viable and visual for future generations, we must work to preserve it.

Fred and his experience have been an inspiration to me - you are wise to learn from him all you can. Anytime he responds to my posts, I learn so much. We all owe him and many others on this site a word of thanks.

Yesterday, my project moved past a major mile post on its way to completion. I look forward to sharing its actual launch with many here as soon as it is ready. For my part, my advise to you is:

"Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe and enthusiastically act upon - must inevitably come to you!"

So, say a prayer for God's Guidance and Patience, do your homework and then commit yourself to your endeavor - if its meant to be, it will be and it will be in its own time and place.

I hope to hear more about your projects progress soon. Good for you!

Mack
Capt. Mack H Fox
TULE PRINCESS STEAMBOAT CO.
Lake Nasworthy, San Angelo, Texas

Follow us as:
Facebook - @Tule Princess
Twitter - @tuleprincess
Website - www.tuleprincess.com
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:50 pm

There is a thread on this site: "John Fitch Steamboat Model, 1790" This boat was the first in comercial service in the world, and had a more "advanced" paddle mechanism. The John Fitch Museam hired me a few years ago to build a replica model of this boat, which, like all steamboat projects, is never quite completed, yet plenty of fun anyway.

Very good to have a young and interested person considering the building of an alternative to the conventional propulsion arrangements.

The earlier Fitch "Indian Paddle" arrangement can work OK as far as propulsion efficiency goes, but it has the disadvantages of a sidewheeler, hard to dock, a wide boat requiring somewhat narrow beam if trailering is necessary. Not that I have those issues slowing me down, I love to watch the "eye candy" of the slow walking beam engine.

The comercial Fitch boat has good propulsion efficiency, with stern paddles. Have a look at this design on the above mentioned thread.
Attachments
FITCHSTERNQUARTER-s.jpg
6 ft long John Fitch model
FITCHSTERNQUARTER-s.jpg (220.84 KiB) Viewed 10851 times
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Post by farmerden » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:15 pm

In my life of doing things I have found the "doing" part the most enjoyable. Whether it was building a Model "A" hot rod fifty years ago or building a dream house [which took eleven years] or rebuilding a steam engine for the "Steam Queen" I can find no more rewarding part of life than "Doing"!! And above all don't put deadlines on projects [they are depressing!] Just enjoy the journey.And when you finish you can sit back and say "I did that!!" "I knew I could!" Den
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:51 am

farmerden wrote:In my life of doing things I have found the "doing" part the most enjoyable. Whether it was building a Model "A" hot rod fifty years ago or building a dream house [which took eleven years] or rebuilding a steam engine for the "Steam Queen" I can find no more rewarding part of life than "Doing"!! And above all don't put deadlines on projects [they are depressing!] Just enjoy the journey.And when you finish you can sit back and say "I did that!!" "I knew I could!" Den

Here, here!!! Making and mending are joys for, and in, life. Nothing finer; and sitting, admiring your creation, comes a close second. . . . . . till the next one takes over. :lol:
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
Mfoxchicago
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: PS Tule Princess

Post by Mfoxchicago » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:26 pm

True, how true!
Capt. Mack H Fox
TULE PRINCESS STEAMBOAT CO.
Lake Nasworthy, San Angelo, Texas

Follow us as:
Facebook - @Tule Princess
Twitter - @tuleprincess
Website - www.tuleprincess.com
Cyruscosmo
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Cyruscosmo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Welcome to the forums!

Yeah I know I am a bit late. I have been in the basement reading “All” the old posts and in the archive. It is very enlightening to have questions answered that I had not even thought to ask.

??? All I gotta say about your project is… What a delightfully wacky idea!

It brings to mind that program on the Discovery channel not too long ago where they dug up drawings of the machines designed by Leonardo Da Vinci and actually built them to see if they would function. Well guess what… they worked and other aspects about the designs were discovered that were not fully understood until they had the working prototype. I look forward to seeing a full size working example.

Best of luck to you!

Cheers,
Scott
My Grandpa told me when I was 8 or so that “You have to learn by the mistakes of others! Because you will NOT live long enough to make them all yourself.” At that age I though I had forever to learn everything... ;-)