A Return to Steam

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Old Steamer
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: Nell

A Return to Steam

Post by Old Steamer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:15 pm

When I retired after 32 years in ships and shipping and put my Chief's certificate away in the drawer, I thought my future would be confined to ship models; fate and another had different ideas. Ship models did become a significant hobby and still are but I was approached by somebody whom I knew through business but unknown to me had owned a 16' steam launch for some years. Unreliable operation and a lack of technical expertise to remedy this meant that he was minded to sell the launch but first he asked me to look it over. That was four years ago and since then I have been sucked into the hobby steam world to the extent that the engine has had three annual strip-downs, being re-built each time with various improvements/modifications, the pipework has been mainly replaced and simplified and various other bits tidied-up. The launch has also had far more use than when The Owner struggled to keep it going alone and now provides enjoyment (mostly) for us both, rather than frustration and cursing - although some of that still happens.
With an eye to the future, I now keep my eye on the 'For Sale' adverts although lack of storage makes that all a pipe dream for now but - someday - I hope to have my own boat to play with.
Regards,

The Old Steamer
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: A Return to Steam

Post by Mike Rometer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:47 pm

Welcome aboard! Loads of expertise on here, and a friendly bunch from all over the planet!
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:21 pm

Welcome to the forum. I will be nice to have your incite.

Did you serve on many ships with steam reciprocating main engines?

What part of the world do you hail from?
Old Steamer
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Old Steamer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:33 pm

The majority of my deep-sea time was spent on steam-turbine powered vessels (Gentleman's Engineering) with a diversion into motor ships (mechanised plumbing) to obtain my Combined First Class Certificate. My reciprocating steam experience at that time was gained on steam pumps and steam deck machinery. Since being ashore, all the stuff I learned about recips has had to be dredged out of my brain cell and put to use. Funny how much you remember when you have to.

As far as location goes, I live in West Lothian, Scotland.

Regards,
Old Steamer
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:30 am

Hello and welcome to the forum. I happen to be in Glasgow, and will probably travel to Edinburgh this weekend. Perhaps we might have lunch? I am in Scotland on business (steam business of course), and would like to discuss old sea stories, having also served on steamers many years ago.
Old Steamer
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Old Steamer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:48 pm

Fred,
Thanks for the tempting invitation to swing the lamp but I suspect that if I told The Management that I could not take her or her new rigout which cost several arms and quite a few legs to darkest Perthshire for her niece's wedding, I could expect a certain drop in the local temperature. 5'2" of Wee Glesca Wummin on the warpath is a site best viewed from a bunker.

Regards
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by fredrosse » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:02 pm

I understand completely. perhaps another time. Enjoy the wedding, and think of inviting your niece and her new husband out on a nice steamboat ride in the future.
Gudmund
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Silkie

Post by Gudmund » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:16 am

Fred,
Are you still in Scotland next Thursday? A few of us are meeting in Stirling for lunch.
Gudmund
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by fredrosse » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:59 am

I am scheduled to be in Glasgow all week, and there may be some breaks in the work schedule.
Gudmund
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Silkie

Post by Gudmund » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:21 pm

Fred,
You are in Scotland the wrong time of the year. In another couple of months we will have boats in commission and you could have experienced our beautiful loch(s). You will just need to come again.
If you are able to join us on Thursday, contact me and we can arrange meeting you (07974423010). I'm sure Waverley would welcome a visit; Ken Henderson is the engineer and you can find his phone numbers in the SBA members.
Enjoy your stay in Scotland
Gudmund