Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Bert Blik
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Araminta

Post by Bert Blik » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:29 am

Good morning one and all

After "lurking" in the shadows for quite some time it is time to step into the light and introduce myself as another member of this splendid forum.
Having been injected by the "steam virus" at a very young age ,as my grandfather was skipper of a big steam tug in Falmouth harbour during sixties , seventies and early eighties and having spent countless days in the engine room mesmerised by the revolving crank and conrods of the 1000 Hp engine ,the bug was there to stay.
Althought the tug is no longer with us( ironically it was broken up in Holland where I now live) the steam bug still is and after selling my Aveling roller that I owned for quite a few years and life in general( kids, house etc) taking over it is now "steam time " again.
I have bought a lovely "Drysdale" 41/4"x31/2" piston valved single with SLRG ,I'm now looking for a boiler. I've obviously joined the SBA but I cannot seem to get an answer from the chap who "does " the boiler library.
Would anybody have the drawings for a VFT Kingdon type boiler ,between 25" and 30" diameter and 30" to 35" inches hig?.
The drawings would obviously have to have C.E. approval because without it's no point building one as I couldn't get a certificate.
Just to complete the picture. The boat will be a 6.5 x2.3 mtr seawater resistant aluminium hull with love curves and gorgeous wineglass transom

Best regard to all

Bert
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: New member

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:15 am

Welcome Bert, you're in the right place for steam!
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:01 pm

Welcome Bert!

I've been waiting on the SBA boiler chap to reply for a few months now myself.
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Post by Mike Cole » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi, i understand that Julian is looking to step down from looking after the SBA boiler library after many years, due to poor health.

Mike
Mike Cole
Mfoxchicago
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: PS Tule Princess

Post by Mfoxchicago » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:02 am

Welcome aboard Bert!

Cheers.
Capt. Mack H Fox
TULE PRINCESS STEAMBOAT CO.
Lake Nasworthy, San Angelo, Texas

Follow us as:
Facebook - @Tule Princess
Twitter - @tuleprincess
Website - www.tuleprincess.com
Bert Blik
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Bert Blik » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:48 pm

Thank you all ,chaps, for a warm welcome to the steam boating fraternity.
I am glad I can report that the custodian of the SBA boiler library is alive and kicking and has been in touch with me.
Fortunately no health issues ,as was suggested, but a long holiday.

Anyway, before I start on the boiler I've got plenty of other things to do on my newly required engine, such as new flywheel, drive to the Hypro feedwater pump ,connection to the prop shaft or ,if I can't fit a large enough propellor, a chain driven step up.

Happy steaming everyone
Edward
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Edward » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:57 pm

Dear Bert ,

Like everyone else may I welcome you to the Forum . I hope you find it as enjoyable and useful as I have .

There is at least one vertical firetube boiler in the SBA library meeting the dimensions you have given , it was designed for me and I gave the designs to the SBA once my boiler had been made, installed and proven in service . It is installed in my steam launch Whippet where it powers an Elliott Bay triple expansion engine .
It is quite a big brute and commensurately heavy , I have a spare which might be available but I would urge you to use caution before going ahead as I think you might be aiming for a bigger boiler than your proposed hull needs ; having said that a lot of people like to have a slightly bigger boiler than absolutely essential to allow for steadier and slightly less fraught steaming .

Regards Edward.
Bert Blik
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Bert Blik » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:02 am

Dear Edward,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have looked at footage of you boat"Whippet" on U-tube, which by the way is lovely, and as you mentioned , a slighty bigger boiler will cause less fraught steaming.
Although at 21' the boat isn't overly long it has a beam of over 7' so there will be plenty of space inside but at that beam it will also need a fair bit of power to drive her.
I've taken the liberty of composing an email to you home address will you should be receiving shortly

Kind regards

Bert