Hello from Texas!

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
ezgo394
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Hello from Texas!

Post by ezgo394 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:54 pm

Hello All,

My name is Ethan and I am from Texas.

I've been interested in boats/ships for years and have been a member of a drawing site/forum called Shipbucket for over 6 years, drawing various ships and boats from the 1900s to modern day. I've always been intrigued by steam power and I've always wanted a hobby that implemented steam as a main power source (I have shown a great interest in Live Steam Railroading, but that requires a group of people to create and run a large layout).
A few nights ago, I came across Maltelec's videos of the Elliott Bay Vertical Triple Expansion Engines and started looking into it more, found out about Steam Launches and now I'm hooked. So, I've joined this forum with the hope to get to know more about Steam Launches, their operation, maintenance, events that are in my area/region, etc.

-Ethan
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Hello from Texas!

Post by DetroiTug » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:01 pm

Ethan,

You've came to the right place and welcome.

-Ron
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:34 am

I suffer from both diseases, live steam trains and steam boats. There is much to be said for the ability to go pretty much anywhere you please rather than following a track.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
ezgo394
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by ezgo394 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:54 am

Thanks for the welcome! :)

@Lopez Mike, that was exactly my reasoning for choosing steam boats.
Mfoxchicago
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: PS Tule Princess

Post by Mfoxchicago » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:23 am

Welcome Ethan! I got bit by the "steamboat bug" in 1993 when I was living in Chicago. My very first boat to ever own was a 30' fantail launch w/ a VFT boiler and a 12hp, two cylinder compound engine, circa 1910. But in 1995, I met and fell in love with the boat of my dreams - David Sarlin's TULE PRINCESS - 38' side wheel, walking beam engine paddle steamer - the last of her kind this large still operating anywhere in the world. Having moved back to San Angelo, Texas, my hometown in '06, I became aware of TULE being up for sale in March '13, started on a business plan to acquire and operate her on Lake Nasworthy in San Angelo for excursions and charters. We purchased and moved her from Bay City, MI in June/July '14 and now operate her (as of March 2015) on weekends and for charters.

Where do you live? Come out to West Texas and take a ride on her - she is a very special lady! You can find out more about her and our business at our website: www.tuleprincess.com or on FB @tuleprincesssteamboat . Come visit us. We're hoping to establish an annual steamboat rally in San Angelo around August of next year. Call our business line anytime for more information. When you speak with our Operations Manager, tell her you are the guy from the Steamboating Forum, she'll give you my number and we'll talk.

Welcome again to Steamboating!!!
Capt. Mack H Fox
TULE PRINCESS STEAMBOAT CO.
Lake Nasworthy, San Angelo, Texas

Follow us as:
Facebook - @Tule Princess
Twitter - @tuleprincess
Website - www.tuleprincess.com
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum

Post by Maltelec » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:02 am

Welcome to the forum Ethan. I should really make some more videos but time and money are always against me.
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.