New member from the "Impressionniste" country

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Michelfrance
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

New member from the "Impressionniste" country

Post by Michelfrance » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:23 am

Hello steamboaters,
I am an engineer in the field of the electric power production which is soon going to retire. I am interested in the boats of the 19th century and the steam for years. I live on the banks of the Seine in the country of the « Impressionnistes » and I would like to realize a 30’ steamboat. Being already equipped with lathe, milling machine, bandsaw … , I intend to realize myself the steam engine and the boiler, but it will be more difficult for the hull where I shall need your good advices, not being a marine carpenter !
See you soon and sorry for my english … Michelfrance
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: New member from the "Impressionniste" country

Post by fredrosse » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:10 am

Hello and welcome! I am also an engineer in the field of the electric power production, interested in the boats of the 19th century and the steam for over 60 years, with lathe, milling machine, bandsaw, etc. In terms of work, it required several years to build my engine, about a year for the boiler, and about 2 months to build the wood boat hull, although only 20 feet long.

There are several options available, from old fiberglass sailboat hull conversion (cheap and simple), to plywood, strip planked, and traditional hulls. You will get good advice here.
Akitene
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Akitene » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:53 pm

Good evening Michel,

You're much welcome aboard this forum. Plenty of resources here, not to speak about the good advices too.

By the way, what are you planning to do with a 30 footer? :shock: Living aboard while wandering around, from time to time? Quite a largeish boat! Your project is very promising, I'll follow your progress with pleasure.

(Pour ma part, je procrastine de moins en moins puisque je prévois de construire un canot à voûte de 18 pieds avec une machine verticale compound en tandem et une chaudière Blackstaffe.)

Sorry for the a parte, let's get back to English. Michel, did you get into contact with the "Amateurs de Bateaux à Vapeur" association? Many of its members are living in and/or near Paris, not too far from your place.

Best regards,

Akitene aka Christophe
S. Weaver
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Iona

Post by S. Weaver » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Michel,

There are many good hulls and shops that produce them across the Channel, if you can look past that good Gallic pride. :D (Hopefully as a brassy American I can get away with making such a jest. You will also find a good sense of humor on this site ...)

You English is fine and we welcome you aboard!
Steve