Hull design

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Ribble Rose.
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Ribble Rose

Hull design

Post by Ribble Rose. » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi I`m new to this forum and have joined to ask what may seem a bit of a stupid question ,but as it says ask away .I own an old sailing boat .I think she is about 100 years old .She was found as a bit of a wreck about 35 years ago in Cumbria but I don`t now exactly where. She seems very well built and is carvel ,pine on possibly oak steamed ribs and is copper riveted .When I purchased her she had a mast and man made sails .The sails are very old but a man made fibre made by a company in possibly the 1930s this is a bit of a guess .The boat is similar to a small Morcambe Bay Prawner with an elipticle counter stern .She is different though in a number of aspects .I have enquired in a number of sailing boat forums about this and they seem unusual .She is deeper in the beam than the sailing boats like her .She has no sawn ribs,she was designed with a central propeller rather than one drilled later or a wing propeller.I have always assumed she was designed as a sailing boat but reminds me of an Edwardian launch. I was looking at pictures the other day and came across a picture of a steam boat on Ullswater which although was basic looked to have similar lines .So my question is could she have been designed to take a steam engine and converted to sail later .I don`t now if there is a difference in hull forms and design .I will try and post a couple of pictures one of my boat and the picture of the one on Ullswater. Any views appreciated https://www.flickr.com/photos/66402022@ ... ed-public/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/66402022@ ... ed-public/ there are more pictures under my Flickr account Lady Coaster .Many Thanks for any information Ian.
Last edited by Ribble Rose. on Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribble Rose.
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Re: Hull design

Post by Ribble Rose. » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Two of the other things that are a little different is she has what I would class a quite a large 3 bladed bronze prop for a sailing boat and about midships 6 inches down from the gunwale is a small copper lined hole which I can`t work out what it could have been used for . many thanks again Ian .P.s.could anyone reply and tell me if you can see the pictures in the last post as I`m not sure I`ve posted them correctly.
Edward
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Edward » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Dear Ribble Rose ,

I'm afraid I can't see the pictures , but I am almost completely computer illiterate . I'm sure one of our more up to date members will be able to advise you how to post pictures .
I think Gondolier may be the person to advise about the provenance of your boat .
A large propeller , or at least larger than an I/C engine would use , could point to a steam engine .

In any case welcome to the forum .

Regards Edward
Last edited by Edward on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edward
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Edward » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Dear Ribble Rose ,

I can see lots of pictures , but I'm not sure which one I'm meant to be examining ; is it the blue hull ?

Edward.
Ribble Rose.
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Ribble Rose. » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:09 pm

Yes it`s the blue hull ,and I`m comparing it with the postcard picture of the steam boat on Ullswater :)https://www.flickr.com/photos/66402022@ ... ed-public/
Bob Cleek
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Bob Cleek » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:44 pm

While most all are long gone now, it has been my impression that when steam was supplanted by infernal combustion around the turn of the last century (or the one before that, actually!) some fantail launch hulls were indeed converted to sailing boats.
Ribble Rose.
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Ribble Rose. » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:53 pm

Wow, this could be an interesting turn up .Is there any photo`s or clues I could look into regarding this. I`ve never even heard of a fantail .
Ribble Rose.
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Ribble Rose. » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:06 pm

One of the other things I have never been able to understand is this bored hole its about 1 inch in dia and is right the way through .This must have been hidden for a very long time as it was behind a piece of rotten mahogany which had been bent round the counter to finnish her off .I have always presumed it might of been for a bumpkin but never looked right .Any ideas what it may have been used for ? https://www.flickr.com/photos/66402022@ ... ed-public/
Edward
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Edward » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:41 pm

Dear Ribble Rose ,

The hole in the stern doesn't look particularly steam orientated to me , it almost looks as if it could have been for a stern bowsprit (obviously not the right terminology even if there ever was such a thing, you can tell I'm not very au fait with sailing terms or rigging .)

A Fantail is what a counter stern is called in the USA .

Edward .