Question about spare parts

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: Question about spare parts

Post by Lopez Mike » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:29 pm

There are some stunners in that table. I had thought that nothing under a hundred feet had a chance.

What really startles me is how far one might go with smaller boats if you go slow. This will get printed out and stored in my boat tool kit for sharing with other steamers.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:11 am

The English steam puffers, ranging about 65 - 85 feet in length ran up and down the coasts of England and Scotland, and they were delivering mostly cargo that was not fuel. Load one of them with lots more fuel and they could make the crossing easily, at least in the mathematical world. In reality, not such a good proposition, the Atlantic can serve up much treacherous weather.

My calculations are based on a boat being able to make hull speed ( 1.34 * LWL ^ 0.5 ) with 1.5 horsepower per ton, a typical equation for a reasonable hull with the right size propeller. At slower speeds a cubic function (horsepower as a function of speed), so you get about 80% speed with 50% power.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:07 pm

Fred,

One small correction, the Puffers as I understand it had a maximum length of 66 ft. That was the extreme length of the locks on some of the canals they operated upon. Many of the puffers were around a standard 62 feet. I studied these a few years ago and it is a fascinating history.

Even found the movie made at Ealing Studios "The Maggie" which is a really entertaining movie about the crew of a puffer back in the 1950's er so. I found it on PirateBay.

-Ron
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 am

Yes, Ron, I also saw this movie many years ago, and I remember being totally involved with getting any glimpse of the little ship, its fittings, the machinery, etc. I think I paid less than 1% attention to the story line!
gondolier88
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by gondolier88 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Gents,

Clyde Puffers were limited in length to fit in certain Scottish canal locks, however when the VIC boats were built they were scaled up in all directions and they were 85ft LOA. These were still called Puffers despite being totally different craft and most if not all were condensing.
Don't get heated...get steamed up

http://www.simpsonboatbuilding.co.uk