Hello from Boston,mass.

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Rick A
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Hello from Boston,mass.

Post by Rick A » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:25 am

I live a little outside of Boston and in researching the history of my great great grandfather's company, Ashton Valve, I have become fascinated by America's industrial age and the part Ashton Valve played in it. Through my collection of old articles and adverts about Ashton safety valves, steam gauges, and whistles, I can tell the story of the company. In the past 3 years I've started learning about steam and it's many uses and I am posting on a number of forums (mostly RR). I realized steamboats have gauges, safety valves, and whistles so I thought there might be an interest in this material. I don't have any engineering knowledge about steam but I do have a curiosity about it's history. I hope you enjoy these posts and I hope if you see me at some of the steam events I participate in you'll introduce yourselves.

Here's my great great grandfather, Henry G Ashton who started the company in 1871. He say's helo too.
Attachments
Henry G. Ashton.jpg
Henry G. Ashton.jpg (127.18 KiB) Viewed 9149 times
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Hello from Boston,mass.

Post by fredrosse » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:54 am

Welcome to the forum. Many of us have a keen interest in engineering, especially steam, of the late 19th century. Hope to meet you at the Lees Mills Steamboat meet (NH) this September. It is the largest steamboat meet in the world.
Rick A
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Rick A » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:34 pm

Thanks for the welcome Fred. I look forward to meeting you this September. I have family in the area so I have no excuse not to go this year. Do you have any Ashton items on your boat? If not you have a good 6 months to deal with that issue! :D
steamdon-jr
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Post by steamdon-jr » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:43 pm

Welcome, I am sure many of us would be rather interested in anything you post from Ashton, most of us are interested in anything steam from cars, stationary, marine and locomotives I would also like to say if you do come out to any steam event make yourself known, you are sure to get a personal tour and or ride depending on the event you attend. I will tell you if you come to Lake Nockamixon in PA for our event you can surely have a ride on our steamboat. I know many others who would also. There are a few members who have steamboats in or around the Boston area as well.

Don Fenstermacher, Jr
Rick A
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Rick A » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:46 pm

Thank you on. I assure you if I make it down your way I'll get in touch. A ride on a steam boat sounds very enjoyable!