Renewing

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Renewing

Post by artemis » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:49 am

The forum was really just becoming something that I was beginning to enjoy and visit. I hope that doesn't change, but my experience is that there is frequently a user/visitor drop that "kills" the forum. I hope this isn't the case here, and I'll continue to support and publicize this forum.

I don't know the restrictions on the "phpbb" software, but most bb's have a new member screening option that allows the "host" to screen new member applications before approving them to post. This prevents most spamming and if you include a "...in order to prevent spamming we ask that you submit a brief description of your interest in hobby steamboating..." box in your "application for membership" you'll pretty well close it down. Many times you'll get applicants that you recognize the email address or "handle" so it's no problem. If not, a brief follow up query usually takes care of it. I've used this technique on a couple of websites and had a total of five "spams" on two over a period of several years. Requires some time on the part of the host and/or moderator(s) but definitely reduces problems.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: Renewing

Post by Maltelec » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:42 am

Thats an excellent idea artemis, I shall keep it in mind for the future.

Now I have got the forum on my own hosting site, I have full control over everything. The php software has the ability to alter pretty much everything so I can make it to look and work how it best suits the forum members.

I agree that the other forum was at a stage where it was about to really start going, which is why I have made the change now rather than later. Forumer.com has a lot of limitations which were slightly annoying and out of my control. The self-hosting way is not the cheapest but it is best in terms of useability. At least the phpBB3 software is free.
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.