Aloha from Hawaii

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Ofcalipka
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Kaimiloa

Aloha from Hawaii

Post by Ofcalipka » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:22 am

Hello all,

I've been seriously considering getting a small steam launch to get back into boating here in Hawaii. I learned to sail and operate motor boats when I was young on the Chesapeake Bay and have owned a sailboat and sailed in Hawaii for many years until back injuries made me give up sailing due to not being able to handle all the lines efficiently anymore. I miss the water and love the thought of steaming around the calm waters area of Kaneohe Bay for recreation. I have been looking around the internet for a boat to invest in but have not seen anything promising yet. I would very much appreciate any advice from you all and look forward to the possibility of bringing one of these fine vessels to operate in Hawaii.

Humbly yours,
Adam L.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Aloha from Hawaii

Post by fredrosse » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:32 pm

What are your intentions with respect to getting underway? There are all kinds of options, ranging from buying a ready to go launch (and shipping it to your location), or building a steamer from any of several available designs/hulls, to converting a centerboard sailboat hull to propeller propulsion, which is the least expensive option.

To get underway on steam (with a condensing plant, which would be a requirement for operation in salt water) can range from a few thousand dollars plus some considerable amount of labor, up to prices in the $10,000 - $100,000 range
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:44 pm

Fred's numbers are fairly typical. If you enjoy building a boat and have the facilities, it can be a rewarding project.

If you want to get steaming for the same or perhaps less money, finding an existing complete and running boat is a good option. There is a 22 foot boat ten miles from me that could be had for about 20K. It's a fine boat but the owner builder found that he would rather build and sort out a boat than go steaming.

The replacement cost of the boiler, engine and various store bought stuff on my boat would run 17K plus but because the hull is deplorable, I got it for less than 5K with trailer.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
Ofcalipka
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Ofcalipka » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:10 pm

Thank you for the replies,

I'm trying to keep it under $20,000 for my first boat is my goal I am selling my custom motorcycle I built for shows to fund this endeavor also and shipping from the West coast to Hawaii is almost $5000.00 plus airfare and truck rental to pick it up and drive it to the docks in California. I do not mind a used boat as the cost of building one new is beyond me and while I think I am quite handy with tools I know my limitations and building a seaworthy craft on my own would not be wise. The only other thing that I have as a goal is to keep it large enough for 6-8 people to comfortably enjoy.
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Post by farmerden » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:18 am

Check out WWW.northweststeamsociety.org classified. There are a couple of good boats there for approx $10,000 US
Ofcalipka
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Ofcalipka » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Well I have run into a bit of good fortune and was able to purchase a nice Elliot Bay 24' launch with a Tinypower 10 HP engine and a condensing system already to run well within my price range. Waiting now for delivery to Hawaii. Look me up if your in the neighborhood and want to go steaming with me.