Greetings from Wisconsin

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Jstemwedel
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Sassue

Greetings from Wisconsin

Post by Jstemwedel » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:21 am

Hello,

I'm glad to have run across your very interesting forum. After much consideration I recently purchased plans from Paul Gartside for his 23 ft. steam launch (design no. 125). I should confess from the outset that although I am an avid machinery aficionado, fascinated by steam engines, compression ignition engines, and much more, I am mostly a wooden boat enthusiast, especially of boats with plumb bows and fantail or wineglass sterns. I'm what I would call a near-purist. I lack sufficient skill to be a pure purist, but would not have a fiberglass hull, a glass encapsulated wood hull, or anything of that ilk.

Still facing a dilemma as to what engine to install. Of course I have not yet built the boat, which is still a figment of my imagination. I have built one boat previously (Yankee Tender design, 12.5 ft. lapstrake skiff).

Since this is the welcome section, I won't delve into my list of pros and cons for steam versus the internal combustion engine which shall not be named. Suffice it to say that when I imagine the completed vessel, it is under power of a triple expansion engine....

Looking forward to many interesting discussions.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Greetings from Wisconsin

Post by Mike Rometer » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:39 am

Welcome Jstemwedel, lots going on on here, some fantactic builds, and plenty of other discussion. Keeps me amused for hours (instead of building..... :roll: )
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
William Tell
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Isabelle

Post by William Tell » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:24 am

hello! welcome to you and good luck and pleasure for your boat construction
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Jstemwedel wrote:Hello,

I'm glad to have run across your very interesting forum. After much consideration I recently purchased plans from Paul Gartside for his 23 ft. steam launch (design no. 125). I should confess from the outset that although I am an avid machinery aficionado, fascinated by steam engines, compression ignition engines, and much more, I am mostly a wooden boat enthusiast, especially of boats with plumb bows and fantail or wineglass sterns. I'm what I would call a near-purist. I lack sufficient skill to be a pure purist, but would not have a fiberglass hull, a glass encapsulated wood hull, or anything of that ilk.
Suggest you purchase a copy of "Steam Boats and Modern Steam Launches", http://www.steamlaunch.com. This is the "Bible" of hobby steamboating. The publisher, Elliott Bay Launch, is very into "purist".
Still facing a dilemma as to what engine to install. Of course I have not yet built the boat, which is still a figment of my imagination. I have built one boat previously (Yankee Tender design, 12.5 ft. lapstrake skiff).
Suggest you look seriously at the York Compound. It would do very nicely in Paul's hull. The plans and castings set is also available from Elliott Bay. You can buy the drawings separately. There's a "how to" article currently running in "Steambgoating Magazine", http://www.steamboating.org. . Elliott Bay also has the casting for the "purist" triple engine - but it's a lot of work. Ask a couple of people on this forum.
Since this is the welcome section, I won't delve into my list of pros and cons for steam versus the internal combustion engine which shall not be named. Suffice it to say that when I imagine the completed vessel, it is under power of a triple expansion engine....

Looking forward to many interesting discussions.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
S. Weaver
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Iona

Post by S. Weaver » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:11 pm

Gartside's design is nice, as is Phil Bolger's. I am enjoying the hull as much as the machinery, so you have kindred spirits here. I would second the York compound. It is a traditional long-legged beauty. Welcome aboard.
Steve
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:42 pm

artemis wrote: There's a "how to" article currently running in "Steambgoating Magazine", http://www.steamboating.org. . Elliott Bay also has the casting for the "purist" triple engine - but it's a lot of work. Ask a couple of people on this forum.
Ron,

Is the York article new material or is it a reprint of Mr. Eaton's articles which ran in the Funnel awhile back? If it's new, who else is building a York? I'll have to subscribe, I'm not really sure why I haven't yet.

Ken
S.L. Chequamegon (YTBB)
Colorado USA
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by marinesteam » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:04 pm

S. Weaver wrote:Gartside's design is nice, as is Phil Bolger's. I am enjoying the hull as much as the machinery, so you have kindred spirits here. I would second the York compound. It is a traditional long-legged beauty. Welcome aboard.
These are two nice designs, I have the plans for the Bolger 23' as one of the options that I am considering for myself. Personally, I think that the Gartside launch is way to beamy which I think would make for a real rough ride on Superior. It's hard to tell without seeing the lines of the hull how it will ride in seas. I'm thinking that you want a hull with less initial stability that hardens-up when heeling a bit so you don't get tossed around so much.

For Lake Superior I would really look at one of the Selway Fisher designs. His designs seem much better suited for bigger water. The 21'6" Indian Runner would be a great choice. (look in the 19' launch section)

Ken
S.L. Chequamegon (YTBB)
Colorado USA
preaton
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by preaton » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:57 am

Is the York article new material or is it a reprint of Mr. Eaton's articles which ran in the Funnel awhile back?
Reprint :lol:

Cheers

Paul
Jstemwedel
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Sassue

Post by Jstemwedel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:46 am

marinesteam wrote:
S. Weaver wrote:Gartside's design is nice, as is Phil Bolger's. I am enjoying the hull as much as the machinery, so you have kindred spirits here. I would second the York compound. It is a traditional long-legged beauty. Welcome aboard.
These are two nice designs, I have the plans for the Bolger 23' as one of the options that I am considering for myself. Personally, I think that the Gartside launch is way to beamy which I think would make for a real rough ride on Superior. It's hard to tell without seeing the lines of the hull how it will ride in seas. I'm thinking that you want a hull with less initial stability that hardens-up when heeling a bit so you don't get tossed around so much.

For Lake Superior I would really look at one of the Selway Fisher designs. His designs seem much better suited for bigger water. The 21'6" Indian Runner would be a great choice. (look in the 19' launch section)

Ken
S.L. Chequamegon (YTBB)
Colorado USA

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. This forum and Wooden Boat Forum have become my two favorite web sites, by far.

I've heard a couple of people on this forum question the stability of the Gartside. According to Gartside's own description of the launch, however, "Generous beam and heavy construction give this one more stability and load carrying capacity than is commonly found in steam launches. There is comfortable seating for six." The vessel has nearly 3 feet of draft, so it seems it should be able to handle some fairly choppy conditions. The boat will be used primarily around the Apostle Islands and nearby bays. I plan to make trips of 20 to 25 miles one-way, but most of those trips will be within a mile or two of the mainland or an island. In any case, I already purchased the Gartside plans, so I'll make it work. I also asked Mr. Gartside about the possibility of lengthening the design to 26 ft., which he indicated was a doable plan.

I would like to add a pilothouse and outfit it similar to a small tug.
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by marinesteam » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:15 pm

Jstemwedel wrote:
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. This forum and Wooden Boat Forum have become my two favorite web sites, by far.

I've heard a couple of people on this forum question the stability of the Gartside. According to Gartside's own description of the launch, however, "Generous beam and heavy construction give this one more stability and load carrying capacity than is commonly found in steam launches. There is comfortable seating for six." The vessel has nearly 3 feet of draft, so it seems it should be able to handle some fairly choppy conditions. The boat will be used primarily around the Apostle Islands and nearby bays. I plan to make trips of 20 to 25 miles one-way, but most of those trips will be within a mile or two of the mainland or an island. In any case, I already purchased the Gartside plans, so I'll make it work. I also asked Mr. Gartside about the possibility of lengthening the design to 26 ft., which he indicated was a doable plan.

I would like to add a pilothouse and outfit it similar to a small tug.

I didn't mean to imply that the Gartside wouldn't be seaworthy. I find the description "Generous beam and heavy construction give this one more stability and load carrying capacity than is commonly found in steam launches" to be a warning flag. Our predecessors hull design pretty well optimized for the powerplants put into them. Anything different should be looked at carefully. While there are a lot of different ways to skin the cat and you are dealing within a finite set of parameters and you need to find the balance within those paremeters that gives the outcome you are looking for. In other words, you will have to give up some things to gain others.

When I hear "heavy construction and load carrying capacity" I think about the increase in the size of the machinery needed to push her along and a decrease in speed. "Generous beam and more stability" makes me think of a great boat for flat water but maybe a lousy, rough ride on open seas. Sometimes stability works against you. In rough seas I would think that you want a bit of tenderness to keep the motion of the waves from transfering into an agressive hull rocking. The Gartside design may be the right one, but it's not all about draft and freeboard, ride is important and is defined by the hull shape and loading. You need to see the hull lines before making this determination.

Cheers

Ken
S.L. Chequamegon (YTBB)
Colorado, USA