Greatings All

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
Frank57
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Greatings All

Post by Frank57 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:02 pm

Hello, I joined recently but forgot to introduce myself! I have a Stuart No 1 in casting form and I am thinking of building this and putting it into a small steam launch. I live in Swindon UK. I know little or nothing about Steam boats but I am eager to learn!

Keep steaming

Frank
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: Greatings All

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Welcome to the group.

That's a good little engine. But it is a little engine. As long as you keep the size and weight of the boat down, you will get good use out of it.

I would seriously recommend pitching out the supplied crankshaft casting and making a new and beefier one with larger journals. Unlike the #5 Stuart, the #1 has a decent cross head design. Adjustable for wear.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
Frank57
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Frank57 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Thanks Mike

This will be my first build and if all goes well I may build a larger engine and use that in the boat instead. I have to finish putting my workshop together first and having 2 daughters (one only 2 years old) does not give me a lot of time were I can do the things I want to do. I intend to retire in about 10 years time and the plan is to have a steamboat built by then, so that I can sit back a little and enjoy the steaming. I may be being too ambitious, as I would like to build not only the engine but also the boiler and the boat itself. Though I did help build 2 sailing boats many years ago and I spent 20 years as an engineer but I do not know anything about boilers!

I am simply at the thinking learning and planning stage at the moment.

Once again thanks for the advice.

Frank
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:07 am

Frank,

Welcome,

Steam boaters are a great bunch and are willing to share. I know there are a few in the Oxford area. Have you joined the SBA? This would be where I would start. Go to a few rallies and chat with the owners, you'll be welcomed with open arms.

Ken
Colorado USA